some things I’ve found useful

Last weekend I pulled out the ice cream scoop which I originally bought to make the birthday cupcakes. I realized I never showed off the little case I made for it. The case is make from oil cloth, it is squared at the bottom to allow room for the scoop, and it is flat at the top to accommodate the handle. I folded the end under to give more support for the large snap which holds it shut. It was easy to make.

I also wanted to show you this bag I made for my rolling pins:

I simply folded a tea towel in half lengthwise and stitched the bottom and side. I caught two pieces of ribbon in the seam near the top which are used to tie the bag shut. I think I saw this idea in a Martha Stewart magazine, but I was never able to find it again.

Trivia: The rolling pin bag is made from a Disgruntled Housewife towel which came with Smile and Act Nice schwag at a SXSW long ago. I keep the Smile and Act Nice pocket mirror from that same goodie bag with my knitting supplies. Nikol Lohr, the girl behind Disgruntled Housewife, has a book out: Naughty Needles: Sexy, Saucy Knits for the Bedroom and Beyond. As you can tell, I’ve been a fan for a while.

· comments [15] · 02-13-2007 · categories:sewing ·

• 1 hmonkey // Feb 13, 2007 at 6:17 am

those cases are excellent – fun and functional!

• 2 Sarah // Feb 13, 2007 at 7:17 am

Totally cute and clever!

• 3 Anavi // Feb 13, 2007 at 9:11 am

I love the pink one. I think it is very nice!

• 4 Sleeper // Feb 13, 2007 at 10:17 am

The ice-cream-scoop case looks cleverly like the cases that come, sometimes, with collapsible umbrellas. Since it’s nearly impossible to neatly shove the umbrella back inside these sheaths, I now will repurpose them (they are often very pretty) in the kitchen. Never would have thought of this but for your blog.

• 5 Lori // Feb 13, 2007 at 10:22 am

That ice cream scoop case is the most gorgeous kitchen accessory I have ever seen in my life.

I am so jealous…must have one for my kitchen…

• 6 Amy // Feb 13, 2007 at 11:15 am

What a cute idea! I am going to try making the bag for the rolling pin! Thanks for the ideas!

• 7 lisaschaos // Feb 13, 2007 at 12:00 pm

You put me to shame. To think none of my items have covers but roll around in a large drawer makes me hang my head. I’m just too impatient and even if I had covers I know the covers would be loose in the drawer.

• 8 megan // Feb 13, 2007 at 12:52 pm

lisaschaos – Be assured most of my kitchen things are dumped in a drawer together. But the ice cream scoop was something I went through a lot of effort to get the exact right size – it involved returning to the store three times, next time I’m just buying a bunch and returning all but the one I want.

• 9 jolie // Feb 13, 2007 at 2:30 pm

oh man, am I ever having a bout of the greens. I may have to go stomp my foot and yell “I WANT!” in a moment. so cute!

• 10 SweetJen // Feb 13, 2007 at 7:46 pm

That is a great scoop. And the little bag! My things…they sit in their holder on the counter behind the recipe stand, or hide away in a drawer. The pink gingham coud not BE more perfect.

• 11 LetterB // Feb 15, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Oh my god. Delurking to tell you I had the same disgruntled houswife dishtowel from the same sxsw (2000?) and it was my favorite for so long. Kept in the kitchen decoratively and not to be used. My husband knew this but accidently (gulp) wiped the floor with it. It was never the same after that and eventually got met a sad, raggy fate. I am so happy that you preserved yours and put it to such good use. I am a little ferklempt seeing that pristine green stripe.

• 12 naughty secretary club // Feb 20, 2007 at 3:25 pm

oh my blast from the past, I used to love Smile and Act Nice and I too got the same towel and mirror at the same SXSW event.

• 13 Emily // Mar 21, 2007 at 11:01 pm

Wow. I never thought to make covers for things like that. Where’d ya get such nice oilcloth?

• 14 andrea // Apr 13, 2007 at 10:27 am

i think you blof is the greatest, so many interesting things. can you please tell me how you have folded the bottom of the scoop case ? i think this is a great idea and i want to make one for my umbrella !

• 15 megan // Apr 13, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Andrea – I used the same technique as for making a square bottomed bag, folded the corners in.