promise I’ll scratch back

I’m kindly requesting a favor of you. I’d like for you to, please, vote for either John Moe or myself in this opening round of Blarch Badness, a Seattle blog competition thingy. We’re “U District Matchup 1″. I’ll explain more below.

poll code taken out, thanks for voting!

Apparently Not Martha has been entered into a local showdown of blogs over at Metroblogging Seattle. It’s called Blarch Badness, which I had to think about really hard before I understood what they were getting at since I’m something of a sports idiot. (If you don’t know either it’s combining the word blog with the phrase March Madness, which is something related to basketball.) Here is more about this whole Blarch Badness thing.

In my matchup I’m up against John Moe (quick bio). John Moe is a hero of mine. I’m faint with glee at being (digitally) this close to him.

About John Moe:

– He started out as an actor and playwright. (John Moe is sensitive!)

– He is a public radio guy. He used to work at KUOW, a local NPR station, doing The Works and sometimes the Power of Voice and recently took a job with Weekend America. (John Moe is smart!)

– He is the author of the recently published Conservatize Me, a book about spending a month immersed in right wingedness in an attempt to understand. (John Moe is brave!)

– He frequently contributes to McSweeneys. (John Moe is cool!)

– He has has funny lists on Amazon. (John Moe is can make you laugh!)

– He has his own blog, Monkey Disaster. (John Moe is down with technology!)

Awesome guy right?

So, I sort of want John Moe to win. I heart him, but asking for everybody to vote for my competition felt vaguely wrong. I decided to ignore it. But the whole thing is sort of fun. After some wine and some thought I realized what I really want is this: I’d like our showdown to be the most voted for of all the match ups in this round. At the time of this writing we have a total of 72 votes, while other matchups in this round have as many as 325. A few thousand of you visit this site each day and I know we could boost the vote count easily.

Here is my point: pretty please, make John Moe and I the most voted for. Vote for whomever you choose (vote John Moe!), but vote. We’re “U District Matchup 1″, you can vote once every browser session (I’m pretty sure), and the voting is open now until Thursday night, February 15th. No registration required, just click a radio button, easy as pie. My sincere thanks.

· comments [19] · 02-12-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 pandora // Feb 12, 2007 at 3:15 am

i so enjoy your spot….just visited seattle last yr…LUV IT
    anyways i’m in atlanta georgia and just voted for ya…so hi from the south

• 2 Richard // Feb 12, 2007 at 5:20 am

Jon Moe is a cool guy, but I voted for you anyway, and you’re pulling away as I write this at 8:30 on Canada’s best coast. But don’t lose hope; that may change as west coasters start waking up and getting on with their day. :-)

Good luck!

• 3 Richard // Feb 12, 2007 at 5:42 am

Oh, I’ve also tried to support John Moe by recommending that the Halifax Public Library buy his book… and they almost always take my advice.

You can’t help but like the guy!

• 4 Kathleen // Feb 12, 2007 at 7:12 am

Ok, voted for you. Enjoy yr blog!

• 5 10 Gallon Hat // Feb 12, 2007 at 10:10 am

Ok, voted for you. I really enjoy your blog and plan to visit often.

Thanks,
    10 gallon hat.

• 6 boscosmom // Feb 12, 2007 at 11:13 am

OK, just voted for you. You have 87% to 13% for Monkey Disaster, by the way. I’d never heard of John Moe until just now, but I will check him out since you have introduced me to so many great sites in the past (like askmefi, which I’m totally addicted to). It took me weeks to go back through all of your archives but it was definitely worth it. Thank you.

• 7 Sarah // Feb 12, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Hi Megan, I had to vote for you! Though I had fun perusing John Moe’s site.

Off topic, but I have to tell someone who cares, I made the No Knead Bread today for the first time! Haven’t tried it yet but pictures are pretty:

Sarah

• 8 Jennifer // Feb 12, 2007 at 2:34 pm

I voted – twice – and you had 85% of the vote the first time I voted and 89% of the vote the second time. Way to go! I’ve been visiting your site for several years now. So long I can’t even remember how I found it….

• 9 Anavi // Feb 12, 2007 at 6:10 pm

I Megan, my name is Anavi and I voted for you. I really enjoy your blog and plan to visit often too.

Thank you.

• 10 scout // Feb 12, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Done.

• 11 Sharyn // Feb 12, 2007 at 9:54 pm

I, like many others, have been a loyal reader for a loooong time – so of course I voted. Twice. On both computers.

Looks like you’re ahead 90-10! Go you!

• 12 John Moe // Feb 13, 2007 at 9:01 am

Hi everyone.
    Megan, in the future please don’t recommend people give me hugs because I’m sure it would result in me being beaten to death.
    Also, don’t recommend people give me money or somehow I’m sure my bank accounts would be instantly gutted.
    And if you are ever tempted to compliment the new siding on my house, please refrain. We both know it would then instantly be burned to the ground.

• 13 megan // Feb 13, 2007 at 9:11 am

John, Yeah, my plan didn’t so much work. I am sincerely sorry.

• 14 Lola // Feb 13, 2007 at 11:34 am

I just voted for you. It looks like you’re in the lead!

• 15 John Moe // Feb 13, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Oh gosh, don’t be. I think it’s pretty funny, really. I mean, sure, it did prompt me to contact Martha Stewart about use of her name and now her jack-booted stormtroopers (their uniforms overlaid with a chintz stencil they made themselves) are on their way to storm your headquarters. So I’m sorry about that part.

• 16 megan // Feb 13, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Fair enough. I’ll let you know if the bottoms of their boots have special designs with the Martha Stewart Omnimedia logo on them.

• 17 Richard // Feb 13, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Jon:

It’s not quite the humiliating loss you suggest! I promise that I’m going to vote for you in the next round unless, of course, the overwhelming size of this devastating thumping precludes you from entering the next round.

Salut!

• 18 Richard // Feb 13, 2007 at 1:17 pm

And sorry for misspelling your name.

• 19 John Moe // Feb 13, 2007 at 5:02 pm

I think the mere fact that the entire conversation is taking place on this blog indicates the relative reach of both blogs.
    But neither nor Megan and I actually entered this thing. We were just sort of placed there.
    Still, buy my book! Listen to my radio show! Help me carve my traditional media empire while allowing Megan to roll to mind-squishing Interweb Dominance.