bits

A Very Brief History of Egg-Poaching, at Seattlest. My own swirl-less method is here, and tips from Alton Brown here.

My Favorite Stitch Markers at Bleu Arts. These are mine too, the way I hold the needles means hard stitch markers get in the way.

How to Break in Your New Cookbook, or prep the spine of any book, at Brownie Points.

Just Say No to Drano, at Apartment Therapy SF.

A bad TV house makeover here in Seattle. The thing done to the hardwood floors sounds the most heartbreaking.

· comments [9] · 02-7-2007 · categories:links ·

• 1 anh-minh // Feb 7, 2007 at 9:49 am

Daaaang. I can’t believe how harsh some of the comments are (towards the homeowners) for that bad makeover post! I also can’t believe an actual designer put those rooms together. Yikes.

• 2 megan // Feb 7, 2007 at 10:56 am

Also on egg poaching – The Kitchen gives a good review to the silicone egg poachers.

• 3 vespabelle // Feb 7, 2007 at 11:13 am

Poor Seattle hipsters! It’s such a mishmash. The green doesn’t go with the furniture. The light fixture doesn’t match the table (who needs chairs?). The poor floor…

• 4 lena // Feb 7, 2007 at 11:44 am

oh gawd! i actually saw that episode and other than the green, it wasn’t that bad. i mean really, there’s so many of those stupid show, the average “designer” is probably some idiot who just got out of art school who all think the funky colored walls are the bomb and more often than not look like, well, like this example. as for the floor thing, that’s a bit harsh. my hub and i just did our floors and those things scratch easily unless you use the correct laquer sealant, which we didn’t in the foyer. so, we have a dinged up foyer because it takes so little to scratch it now.

• 5 Barrie // Feb 7, 2007 at 12:42 pm

seems like these homeowners just have no tact. first they wanted the attention from the tv show, and then they wanted the attention from us because their new home wasn’t done to their satisfaction. they need to wake up and get over themselves. ugh, people…

• 6 megan // Feb 7, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I think people are being needlessly harsh to the couple who had the house made over. There are a few things to consider: They didn’t watch the show they were to be on until after they’d agreed to be on it, this was entirely their own fault and they admit it in the blog. I think it was silly to want to be on one of those shows to begin with, the results are usually dreadful. But I’m sure they were somewhat charmed by the television people who they were in contact with, being charming is what those people get paid for.

The television show is edited to make the couple come across as poorly as possible, shock value, ratings, that whole thing. Early on the girl was told by the producers they were going to create some fake tension between her and one of the designers. The fake tension seems like it wasn’t needed, but there is the proof that the producers want that kind of conflict and probably didn’t do anything to sooth the upset couple and let the cameras keep rolling.

As was said in the blog, a late realization is that the house was made to look good on television, not necessarily for living in. I certainly wouldn’t want too bright walls. Also, the rooms were made awfully dark for where we live.

It was their first house, which they bought in a tough market. The house buying was likely enough of an emotional stretch. I’m sure that having something make your first house into something you definitely didn’t want would make anybody upset (even if they’d agreed to it).

Also important, the situation surrounding their lives just before the reveal was filmed would be enough to send me into explosive crying fits even without a television crew hanging around. He had gone on tour, she had to clear out of the apartment they’d lived in for years to stay with a friend, they had packed but then had to unpack to stage the house for the television crew. They’d had the floors redone. All this while presumably going to work every day and taking care of the pet. Being too busy and with no place to live sounds terribly unbalancing.

I don’t know the couple in question, and I didn’t see the tv show, but The Stranger story seems to have worked like poison in the ear to a bunch of people who commented there. I could absolutely see myself getting swept up into the excitement of being on TV, and then dreadfully disappointed and a bit ashamed of the whole affair afterwards. I think getting to see the real story in all it’s messy emotion is way more fun than two stunned people grinning large fake grins and saying “we love it” from behind gritted teeth.

• 7 scout // Feb 7, 2007 at 8:38 pm

That’s totally so funny since that’s what I’ve used for stitch markers since I was 8.

• 8 molly // Feb 8, 2007 at 5:01 am

Fabulous “bits”! Who cares about the Ballard fiasco? You rock for reminding us that we can replace a lot of those frightening household cleaning solutions (even the earth-friendly brand names are pretty stupid) with a gallon jug of white vinegar and a huge box of baking soda. I’d also like to add borax and Bon Ami (sometimes you need a little brand-name scrubbing power) to the list.

• 9 Vanessa // Feb 8, 2007 at 3:49 pm

I’m trying out that Drano alternative right this second…hope it works!