some serious electric kettle love

We bought an electric kettle last year and I’ve used it every single day. When we bought it we weren’t sure if we’d like it so we used a Target gift certificate and got a cheap model made of white plastic (the equivalent of this this one), not the best thing for the kitchen. So I’m thinking of getting a nicer one which I cannot stain when I somehow manage to splatter tomato sauce four feet across my counter.

My first thought is that I should get the one Alton Brown uses, which as far as I can tell is the Chef’s Choice Electric Hot Pot. It has a top that opens all the way, which would be nice for cleaning. But does anybody have this one? Are there disadvantages? Like, does the top flip open too easily and would I be more likely to pour too fast by mistake while sleepy and end up with hot water all over my slippers? Alton Brown used it to make vanilla creme brulee and the wide top came in handy then, but realistically I’m unlikely to attempt that recipe.

There is this Breville Stainless-Steel Electric Tea Kettle with a wide top, but the soft grip handle worries me as I can imagine it cracking or breaking down and getting sticky after a year. (This is the one Williams-Sonoma offers as well, which I see as a sign of distinction while knowing I’m completely being had by the powers of marketing.) There is a similar one made by Krups as well.

Chef’s Choice also has this more kettle shaped kettle, the Chef’s Choice 677 Electric Kettle, also this rounder one, Chef’s Choice 685 Electric Teakettle .

There are also the more traditional style of this one by Cuisinart, and the cute one by Russell Hobbs. I think I prefer the tall jug look of the previous ones, however, and they might have a smaller footprint on my limited countertop space.

Apartment Therapy occasionally brings up the electric kettle, most recently here at The Kitchen.

There is the one I wrote about on Readymade, the Utilitea Kettle which heats water to different temperatures, boiling for coffee and not quite boiling for green tea (which becomes bitter if steeped in too-hot water). It seems to be constantly backordered at Adagio Teas, but Jen (thanks Jen) tracked down a similar (perhaps the same?) one here at Upton Tea Imports.

Do you have an electric tea kettle? Would you recommend yours? Is $80 worth it since I know it’s something I’ll use every day?

· comments [71] · 02-1-2007 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 greta // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:07 am

I’ve always associated these things with college dorm life, but now I’m intrigued… Is there an advantage to using the electric kettle as opposed to just heating water on the stove?

• 2 megan // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:15 am

It’s faster, but more importantly the electric kettle shuts itself off after it reaches the boiling point. After ruining two kettles and a few pots by forgetting them and boiling them dry this feature is a requirement for me.

Also, I heat water for pasta in the kettle and pour it into pots now, much quicker.

• 3 lena // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:16 am

yes, it’s worth it. i do not have one because i have very very limited counter space and like them clear. so i have a high end stove top kettle that i adore. i always think you should be willing to spend more if you love it and you use it all the time. think of your prada lipgloss…

• 4 megan // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:17 am

Lena – true!

• 5 kim // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:20 am

I got the kettle shaped Chef’s Choice one for Christmas and can very much recommend it. I love it.

• 6 Jenn // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:33 am

I still use the one I had when I was in college, the old white plastic kind. It sort of annoys me that I can’t open it up to clean inside, but I don’t use it often enough to feel comfortable paying $80 for one that opens.

As an aside, my husband swears that when he boils water in the electric kettle, it cools faster than it would if he used a regular kettle. What?

• 7 Jackie // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:38 am

We have the T-fal Avante kettle
    I love it!

Before we had an electric kettle I didn’t even think we needed one. Now, it gets used EVERYDAY. I like this kettle so much I sometime pre-boil water in it before puttingit in a pot on the stove, yes, I am a bit loony.

• 8 rebecca b // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:39 am

I have a T-Fal one that seems to have been discontinued, but it’s plastic and has been kicking it for eight or nine years now. I also turned up this, just to confuse you:

(fwiw, Russell Hobbs is based in the UK, no?)

• 9 Aran // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:41 am

Another option is a Japanese style hot water dispenser. Zojirushi makes the top of the line models which are quite expensive, but I have seen cheaper versions made by Tiger and Sunpentown on Newegg. The idea is that you get tea-ready water all day long from a dispenser.

• 10 Mariko // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:47 am

Hey Megan! We have the Russell Hobbs electric kettle, and WE LOVE IT. It is one of those life-changing kitchen appliances. We use it several times a day for coffee and tea. The electric kettle has also saved us a couple times during kitchen construction when we had no access to the stove–it allowed us to have our coffee in the morning (we do the single-cup drip method).

• 11 holly // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:48 am

I have the Chef’s Choice 677 and really like it. I must admit the ones that are shaped like kettles appeal to me more though.
    We used one of those 20% coupons that Bed bath and Beyond is always sending to our mailbox.

• 12 Ty // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:49 am

My biggest advice would be to get one that disconnects from the base. Mine plugs directly into the wall with a short 3 ft. cord, and it drives me crazy. I get concerned when I clean it (with the electrical parts), the cord is always too short, I have to unplug it and drag the cord along when I go across the room with it…annoying!

I would say, if you use it everyday, sturdy and as multipurpose as you can get would be what you need. And $80 isn’t too much for that. Definitely get one with different settings. Mine has a dial. That is a nice feature. You can keep the water just warm but not boiling.

As for Adiago, I have a single cup IngenuiTea and I love it! Love their tea too. I would say if you can catch theirs you will be happy!

• 13 anna // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:03 pm

I have the Krups one – that lifts off the base, and I love it. Make sure that whichever one you get, the cord isn’t attached to the kettle, as that makes cleaning, etc too difficult!

• 14 J Strizzy // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:05 pm

I have the Chef’s Choice 677, and I love it. Despite a shortage of counter space, I bought it because I’d ruined two conventional kettles by forgetting they were on; the auto-off alone has been worth the $50 I spent on it (and I don’t even use it every day). Even though the top doesn’t open completely, it still opens plenty wide enough to clean it. And the jug style is easier to pour from than the traditional shape of my old stove-top kettle.

• 15 faycat // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I just recently got the Braun impressions stainless steel kettle to replace a plastic krups one which melted. Seriously, the bottom apparently got a little melty and one day I picked it up full of boiling water and the water starting pouring out the bottom. Needless to say, I got stainless steel and I won’t even do plastic again. The Braun seems good, I use it everyday. It’s on the heavy side, and as a large 7-cup capacity, if you need it to boil 1 or 2 cups of water at a time for tea or something, I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s probably better for larger volumes. I use it to boil water for french press coffee every morning and never boil less than about 4 cups at a time.

• 16 Elena // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:23 pm

I have the Utilitea kettle and really like it. It’s fast, and I like the fact that you can vary the temperature of the water by changing the dial on the front.

• 17 Jackie // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Yes, it is worth it to buy one. It was the first thing we purchased after an extended visit to China. It is just so much faster than the coventional stove-top or microwave method for heating water. We were hooked. We just got a basic one from Target, but that one with different heating temperatures is intriguing.

I not only use it for tea, I find it great if you need hot water for cleaning of some sort rather than allowing gallons of water to go down the drain.

• 18 Dunstan // Feb 1, 2007 at 12:56 pm

On Alton’s advice I bought the Chef’s Choice Electric Hot Pot, and i’ve been rather disappointed.

The level indicator is quite hard to see and if you fill it over the MAX mark water boils out over the top and make a mess. This is obvious, but annoyingly easy to do since, as I say, the level indicator isn’t too good.

As for pouring — it’s not a nice contained stream of water that comes out, it’s more of a wide stream, and I always worry that I’ll pour water all over the place one day.

I searched long and hard for a kettle after moving to the US from England, and I have to say I wouldn’t recommend getting the Chef’s Choice Electric Hot Pot.

I’m going to look into selling it and getting the Adagio. Maybe.

• 19 Aran // Feb 1, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Here is a link to the Asian alternative to kettles. Because they use a vacuum container and just occasional electric heat to keep the water warm, I believe they use less energy than reheating an electric kettle multiple times during the day:

• 20 elisabeth // Feb 1, 2007 at 1:31 pm

i have the breville and it’s fantastic in every way. i bought it about 2 years ago and have not noticed any change in the consistency or texture of the handle. it is exactly the same today as it was the day i bought it. stainless steel is the way to go- i’m glad you aren’t considering any plastic kettles!

• 21 Ali // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Bearing cost per use in mind – $80 seems a small price to pay. But hey, I’m in England and if you don’t have a kettle, you’re a weirdo!

I have that Krups one – it’s fine, but I’m a bit sad that the switch doesn’t give a satisfyingly positive clunk.

I never knew I was this into my small appliances – worrying…

• 22 V // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:31 pm

I’ve got one of those electric pots that Aran linked to. I LOVE it and it was so worth the money, especially when the weather’s cold and I need a constant supply of tea to keep me warm during the day. I picked mine up from 99 Ranch Market, they’ve got a few to choose from there.

• 23 kathleen // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:34 pm

After muuuuch research I bought the Krups kettle in October with my precious birthday money. Can’t recommend it enough! I LOVE it. I used it to boil water before making pasta, for hot beverages, etc. My non-cooking husband said it’s the coolest thing in the kitchen. I got mine on Amazon.

• 24 Matt Haughey // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:38 pm

We have the Cuisinart one and have used it near-daily for two years without any problems. It looks great and just plain works. I think we paid about $60 for it on amazon.

• 25 sarah // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:42 pm

After my first workhorse kettle lived for 8 years I bought a $100 delongi that only lasted a few months. Now I have a $30 hamilton beach from target that’s been working very well for ages. Here’s a link to it.

• 26 Willa // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:43 pm

i’m still going strong with my white college kettle, although i’m still a senior so it’s only fitting. i’ve had experience with a kettle similar to the russell hobbs and chefmate one that is basically the same shape, i’m not sure what model my friend actually had. it worked great, my only problem was the metal lid was really hard to get off and i would burn my fingers on all the metal surfaces. so, my advice is maybe test the lid.

• 27 Carrie // Feb 1, 2007 at 2:58 pm

We have the white plastic variety, but only because the husband doesn’t think it’s worth it to upgrade. He’s English and they all have the white plastic variety so clearly that’s good enough for him? I didn’t even know electric kettles existed before I met him!

I would think it’s worth it though and I would get one if I could! :)

• 28 Lisa // Feb 1, 2007 at 3:03 pm

My Zojirushi electric pot is the best birthday gift I ever received. It keeps the water at temp all day and has a setting for boiling and green tea temps. I want to buy a second one for work some day.

My Sweetie searched the web and found one for a decent price. His greatest invention this year was to use an electric timer. It starts up an hour before I wake up, so hot water is ready for me.

• 29 sogalitno // Feb 1, 2007 at 3:27 pm

you will not be sorry – i use mine EVERY DAY and sometimes several times – it is the Bodum Electric

I NEVER regretted buying it – and actually have two – after I moved I couldn’t find the one I had had and so I bought this one and then of course months later found the first one!

fabulous and totally efficient

• 30 Meredith // Feb 1, 2007 at 3:29 pm

I, too, have the Chef Mate 677 – the kettle-y shaped one. I LOVE it. We’ve had it about two years and use it every single day, a few times a day. I have never had a problem with it. It pours nicely and safely. It’s easy to clean due to the detachable base. It also looks nice in our kitchen. I would highly recommend this one. I have had many in the past and this is by far the best one that I’ve owned!

• 31 Parelle // Feb 1, 2007 at 3:37 pm

As a compulsive tea drinker, I can understand the need for a kettle! However, I would recommend getting a cordless one – it’s just a small thing which makes such a difference, especially if you’re keeping yours on the counter (I had mine on a box in my dorm room, so at least you’ll have more style).

Mine was from Walmart. For one thing, it’s $30. It boils quite quickly, and has a decently large capacity. My one complaint is that the lid sits very tightly, so if you want to check for water temperatures for green teas, you’re better off pouring some out.

• 32 lag2 // Feb 1, 2007 at 5:11 pm

another plug for the Zojirushi- i got one from my mom three years ago and have used it every day since.

9/10 asian moms prefer zojirushi :)

• 33 chrispy // Feb 1, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I have heard that Ikea has some really nice inexpensive workhorses. I have not been up to Seattle yet to find one but I plan to soon.

• 34 kat f. // Feb 1, 2007 at 6:02 pm

i didn’t read all the comments so i hope nobody’s mentioned this one yet. i have a black plastic toastess. it plugs into the wall and switches itself off when the water boils. it is the only kind i’ve ever had and to be honest the water comes out in kind of a ‘wide’ stream and sometimes splashes. the lid is big and opens pretty far if you want to clean it. it was a gift so i don’t know how much it was but i seriously doubt it was $80.

• 35 Shelly Kang // Feb 1, 2007 at 6:08 pm

This is not exactly on topic, but to get rid of the tomato stains (and carrot stains too), rub a little vegetable oil on the stain and then it should wash right off with dish soap and water. Unless, of course, you’re using the stains as an excuse to buy a new toy, and then just pretend I was never here.

• 36 Alyson // Feb 1, 2007 at 6:29 pm

I got the Breville Stainless Steel for Xmas. In a word, I am in LOVE!!! Way better than the Bodum kettle I had before (I killed TWO of those in six years). Get the Breville, Get the Breville. Got mine at Crate and Barrel (or rather hubby got it for me).

• 37 Elaine // Feb 1, 2007 at 6:49 pm

I’ve had the Chef’s Choice 677 Cordless for about a year. I compared several when I was looking and thought it was a good value, but more than that, it got pretty good ratings and I’ve been really pleased with it. Someone already said that the lid doesn’t come off to clean but I like that you can take it off the base. I bought mine from Amazon.

• 38 Jinxy // Feb 1, 2007 at 7:22 pm

I have the Chef’s Choice 677 and I really like it. I use it all the time. I do wish that the top opened up a little more. I have a filter on my sink and it fits weird with the top of the kettle. Other then that I love it and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• 39 Rachel // Feb 1, 2007 at 8:02 pm

I have a rather inexpensive Hamilton Beach one from Target that I have used every day for over 2 years and it’s been great. I think it was only about $40. I wouldn’t want to imagine life with out it. Also, don’t forget they use much less electricity/gas than boiling water on a stovetop.

• 40 sue // Feb 1, 2007 at 8:32 pm

We use some thing very similar to the Chef’s Choice Electric Hot Pot for camping. It’s good for boiling water for tea and boiling eggs (clean ones :P) at the same time!

• 41 Cynthia // Feb 1, 2007 at 8:40 pm

I too have and love the Chef Mate 677! It was a gift from my aunt two years ago. She loved her Russell Hobbs cordless kettle but when she went to buy one for me was told by the shop owner that the quality had really fallen off. She still carried the Russell Hobbes but recommended the Chef Mate to anyone who asked. At the time, the Chef Mate scored very highly in reviews as well. I use it multiple times a day for coffee, tea and green tea. It is fast, attractive and easy to fill and clean. Loving everyone else’s feedback!

• 42 nina // Feb 1, 2007 at 10:59 pm

I have the Cuisinart one and I love it. I use it twice or three times a day for a variety of things. For steel-cut oatmeal, try boiling the water in the kettle first, then pouring it into a pot and adding the dry oatmeal. It takes half the time to cook.

• 43 Amanda // Feb 1, 2007 at 11:23 pm

I have to admit I think its mighty weird that the US can’t put out an electric teakettle for less than $25 bucks. I’m an American living in England where everyone has one. Yes, the white plastic kind but it has an automatic shutoff and it only cost me 5 pounds (about 10 bucks). I use it everyday and it has lasted for almost 2 years. Hopefully I didn’t just jinx it and it won’t break tomorrow.

• 44 lizzie lou // Feb 2, 2007 at 4:46 am

i’ve had my beautiful russell hobbs kettle for at least three years, and it’s absolutely perfect in every way. it’s definitely my favorite appliance in the whole kitchen — it’s used probably 8-15 times a day (we are all big tea drinkers). well worth both the money and the counter space.

• 45 mazhalai // Feb 2, 2007 at 6:33 am

I had Chef’s Choice 677 Electric Kettle for less than a year and it had to be repaired.. it was under warranty so i mailed it to the company – waiting to hear from them soon
    Mazhalai

• 46 corina // Feb 2, 2007 at 6:41 am

i work part time at williams-sonoma, so i say buy the breville. i say that because they really stand behind all their products and if it doesn’t have a long-life you can bring it back. plus, i like breville products a lot — they are very very cool.

• 47 Ash // Feb 2, 2007 at 8:33 am

OK, this is just odd. There is a parallel universe where people don’t have electric kettles?? I have always owned a kettle and I’ve lived in Africa and Europe. I couldn’t do without it. I have a Porsche design for Siemens. Here’s a picture:

It’s very stylish but its loud! I have an open plan kitchen/living room and it drowns out everything!

• 48 stacey. // Feb 2, 2007 at 10:58 am

We love our cuisinart stainless steel tea kettle (the one that looks like a traditional tea kettle). It pours in a satisfying stream with no dribbles of hot water and looks good on the counter.

• 49 gab // Feb 2, 2007 at 11:03 am

The breville rocks. It gives a happy little ding! when it’s done and then shuts itself off, to say nothing of the fabulous blue water gauge. I highly recommend it. The breville toasters are supposed to be pretty good to.

• 50 Rosanne // Feb 2, 2007 at 11:13 am

I have a chef’s choice which I love! I use it almost every day.

• 51 renny // Feb 2, 2007 at 11:29 am

I’ve had a Russell Hobbes that my gran bought for me when I was in college (the first time, 15 years ago). I use it every day, at least once. It is still going strong, and weirdly, doesn’t have calcium buildup the way my mom’s old top o’ the stove kettle did. But I’m in California, she’s in Houston, it’s probably that we’re not using groundwater here.

I thought $80 was a lot for a kettle when she bought it for me, but it’s going on 15 years, it’s worth it.

• 52 leslie // Feb 2, 2007 at 11:31 am

I have the Chef’s Choice (first one listed in your post) and must say that I loved it UNTIL the lid somehow got hyper-extended (?) and now it does not close fully. Unfortunately, this prevents the auto shut-off from working properly as well.

• 53 Khristine // Feb 2, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I was in the market for one just recently and I settled on the Braun WK600 stainless steel electric kettle. it says you shouldn’t boil anything other than water cause it has this filter over the spout (it won’t work without it). i don’t think i’ll be heating up anything other than water anyway. and it was only $59!!! check it out on froogle.com. the reviews for it on amazon were pretty awesome.

• 54 Anna // Feb 2, 2007 at 1:27 pm

How could you forget a kettle on the stove? Ours shrieks so loud I run to turn it off!

• 55 megan // Feb 2, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Anna – first one I put on a burner I didn’t know was hot and went down to the laundry room, the kettle was empty. Second one had a broken whistle.

• 56 megan // Feb 4, 2007 at 10:58 am

Thank you so much to everybody for the recommendations, and the warnings!

• 57 Moni // Feb 4, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Hi! My hubby and I have a Delonghi kettle that we purchased almost 6 years ago. It’s never given us any problems and we use it every single day. It’s around $80, depending on where you get it. Here’s a link: http://cooking.shopping.com/xPC-DeLonghi-DELONGHI-METROPOLIS-Electric-Kettle-Metropolis-7-Cup-Model-KBM1511~PD-22266216~FD-96494~kworg-delonghi%20kettle~linkin_id-3064523~DMT-11~VK-
    Good luck in your search!

• 58 Ali // Feb 5, 2007 at 10:31 am

After years using a cheapo plastic kettle, I got a Breville Ikon Electric Tea Kettle (SK550XL – a bit different from the picture you posted). Love! Although I can’t really cook in it (yes, I used to boil pasta and edamame in my plastic kettle), it’s 10x nicer. With the backlight, the water level is really easy to gauge and the automatic shut off is a bonus.

• 59 Laura VW // Feb 5, 2007 at 11:03 am

Seconding Ali: if you live in the UK and don’t have an electric kettle people would be suspicious. We recently upgraded from a white plastic one (which worked fine for the several years we had it) to a shiny and pretty red one, which is also good. With our last one you had to keep detaching it from the socket everytime you wanted to fill it, but the new(ish) cordless one is a lot more convenient.

• 60 Nicky // Feb 6, 2007 at 4:01 am

As I always forget my pans on the stove, an electronic kettle is perfect for me! I wouldn’t want to miss it, probably my most-used kitchen tool ever (a stainless-steel from Philips).

• 61 mar // Feb 6, 2007 at 6:59 am

Forget the kettle – I have a instant hot water dispenser from Insinkerator – Love it! Besides tea, we use it for everything – water for warming baby bottles, cooking, melting chocolate, french press coffee – love, love, love it. Plus, since I less than 3 running ft. of counter space, it’s one less thing to fit on there, or to clutter my stove. Does cost more though, but we love ours.

• 62 Jeanne // Feb 6, 2007 at 9:05 am

We have a Cuisinart and we love it. We use it everyday, several times a day. I finally had to buy a new one last year after the other started acting funny (after five years of hard and continuous use). It is great! One thing to think about–we didn’t want to have any plastic parts boiling with the water (due to health concerns). You might want to check inside the ones you like to see if any plastic gets submerged.

• 63 miranda // Feb 6, 2007 at 11:31 am

I have had a white plastic Melitta kettle for about 3 years and have had little trouble with it. It’s similar to the first one linked here.

The main problem with the plastic isn’t staining with tomato soup/sauce (I’m not that messy, nor is my tiny kitchen shaped such that I have to keep it that close to the sauce). It’s that the filter screen inside is made of nylon mesh or something similar, and it rotted out after about a year. But you HAVE to keep the little pop-out plastic filter attached to the kettle regardless of whether there’s still a screen in it or not, because otherwise, the auto-shut-off won’t work. I use a filtering pitcher on water that goes into the pot anyway, so I’m not worried about filtration for that water.

The next one I get, probably as a wedding gift, will be metal with a metal screen. But there’s nothing really wrong with the better plastic ones. (We did have problems with the cheaper plastic kind shaped more like a pot, with a wide mouth. It quit working after about a month.)

I wouldn’t worry too much about cleaning inside, as some people have mentioned – I mean, all that’s ever in it is *boiling water*, right? You can keep the outside pretty clean by using cleaning wipes and then going over the area with a wet paper towel. You can also just wet a paper towel, add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid, and use that to wipe the kettle’s exterior, following up with the clean damp towel until there doesn’t seem to be any soap on the kettle anymore.

• 64 miranda // Feb 6, 2007 at 11:41 am

PS the main problem for green tea and bitterness is steeping time – most people steep it as long as black tea, when it should be in the water for 1-3 minutes at most. I’ve never had a problem with water temp, but it’s important to put the tea into the water rather than pouring the water on the tea. I drink green tea every day and have for many years.

• 65 jennifer // Feb 6, 2007 at 3:53 pm

I use the Bodum from Crate and Barrel. I think it was $40 when I got it form my husband in Dec. 2003. I have used it everyday and it hasn’t stained. I would recommend it to everyone!

• 66 Online Kitchenware // Feb 7, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I use the Bodum Curl electric kettle which we sell in our online store.

Stylish, high quality and a quick boil.
    1.4L of boiling water in 4 minutes – Curl not only sets record highs in speed but also in design and functionality. This super-curvy kettle comes with a stationary power base and heating element so no cable gets in the way of pouring your tea or coffee. Both kettle and base are made of recyclable plastic.

Size: 1.4L
    Brushed matt stainless steel
    1500 watt
    Two year limited warranty.

• 67 kns // Feb 8, 2007 at 10:17 am

I love this one from Bodum. They used to make it in bright colors, but I can’t find those anymore. And it’s on sale at C&B right now.

• 68 kate // Feb 9, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Have you decided on a kettle? Please let us know what you get!

-K

• 69 Michele // Feb 16, 2007 at 3:25 pm

I got the Upton kettle after seeing it here. We’ve been using it for almost two weeks and LOVE it.

• 70 Joan // Mar 1, 2007 at 5:49 pm

We have the first Chef’s Choice one you listed, and we love it. Use it every day. Several times. Just love it.

We did not know of Alton Brown’s recommendation when we bought it; we got it at Sur La Table and it was the simplest design they had that wasn’t all plastic. We just couldn’t get into the all plastic ones, as they didn’t feel solid enough for us. Not to say plastic necessarily is flimsy, but it does have that feel when you’re talking appliances. However, the plastic ones do not get hot to the touch like the stainless steel body on our does, which could be an issue. Especially in a home with small children.

Anyway, we haven’t had any problems with it, and we really appreciate the wide opening, as we have hard water, and it makes it possible to get my hand in to the bottom of the inside to clean it properly. I DID get it a bit too wet once while really going at getting the scale buildup on the bottom, setting it down in the sink, and it stopped working for a week until it totally dried out again, but once it did it was like new again. The lid closes firmly, and we haven’t noticed any problems pouring out of it, or boiling water sputtering out of the spout if we fill it all the way up. There’s a handsome industrial, yet minimalist look to it that we don’t mind at all having as a permanent resident on our counter.

• 71 Tea time and serendipity | First things first // Aug 25, 2007 at 6:20 pm

[...] Last February, Megan at Not Martha wrote a post about the Utilitea electric tea kettle. I’ve been a stovetop-kettle person my entire life, but I had been thinking about getting an electric kettle to make tea preparation a bit easier. Jan and I have a lovely Oxo stainless-steel stovetop kettle that’s about a decade old and has a friendly, songlike, single-note whistle when it’s reached a boil (alas, more recent models have just the standard shrill whistle–we know this because we bought Oxo kettles for his mom and my parents for Christmas one year, after they’d admired ours when here for Thanksgiving a few weeks earlier). It’s fairly beat-up, though, and takes up a fair amount of real estate on our small stovetop. [...]