Craftivity

I received the Craftivity book a while back and it promptly got buried under a pile of magazines and catalogs. I unearthed it last week and I regret it taking me so long to get to it because the book is amazing.

It is divided into parts based on material: Yarn & String, Fabric & Thread, Paper & Plastic, Glass & Ceramics, Wood & Metal, and Lost & Found. Each part starts with the basics – how to knit, spin, crochet and embroider, Kool Aid dye yarn, silkscreen and basics of wood working. All these are things you can find online but I get a cozy feeling knowing it’s all gathered here in this book for me. The projects in each part start with the easy and work up to Craft Master level, projects include knitting a hammock, wall murals and a lit up display shelf. Each project is clearly explained from the origin of the idea through to clear instructions, and everything is photographed beautifully.

I feel refreshed and inspired after paging through the book and I’m looking forward to a bunch of the projects I’d like to do — I must have a pom-pom rug for my bedroom. Other projects which caught my eye are the felted flower brooch, turning t-shirts into underwear, graffiti rubber doormat, a nice sturdy bed frame, embroidered screen door and moss graffiti.

Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle by Tsia Carson, founder of Supernaturale.

· comments [9] · 01-30-2007 · categories:books ·

• 1 Molly // Jan 30, 2007 at 11:21 am

I was at Ikea over the weekend and noticed that they sell their own brand of cast iron enamel ware. For $49.99 it’s not as cheap as the Target pot, but it is more affordable then some other brands and has a cast iron knob of the lid so you don;t have to worry about melting.

Thought you’d like to know.

• 2 megan // Jan 30, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Molly – thanks. I knew about it but I wasn’t so sure about the matte enameled interior, and 3 quarts feels a little small, perhaps. I do like the drip spikes on the inside of the lid however.

• 3 Patti // Jan 30, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Oh! I HAVE to have a pompom rug!!!!

• 4 Erica // Jan 30, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Oh lordy! Another book I have to get!

• 5 Abby // Jan 31, 2007 at 10:01 am

The rug is worth the book; it’s aMAZing. If you do make one – I’d love to see it!

• 6 Lynne // Jan 31, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Wow! pompom rug is awesome!

• 7 abbeychristine // Feb 1, 2007 at 5:04 am

I was just looking at the pompom rug over the weekend and seriously considering giving it a try. i especially like that i could use up some of that cheap yarn i bought when i first started knitting and will otherwise never use again!

• 8 Heather // Feb 7, 2007 at 12:44 am

I bought the book off Amazon, I am totally making this rug in 8×10!

• 9 3pm to 4pm, Monday, February 12, 2007 « Stick’s Adventures // Nov 15, 2007 at 9:47 am

[...] From 3 to 4 today… Work? NOT! No, I took some time to surf yarn and seek advice. I love just running aroud the internet to look at yarn and notions. I am going to make that Pom Pom Rug from Craftivity for Lisa. She’ll love it. It’s super Frou-Frou, right up her ally. If it’s fluffy, fringey, or pom-pom-y she likes it. When I knit things that don’t have fringe on them, she tells me it’s not done yet. Well, what happens is exactly what she did last night: I showed her the finished work and she says: “oh, that’s nice, but you’re going to add fringe to it, right?” Uh huh, thanks for the not-so-compliment. (See bath mat pics and info below.) [...]