99% of germs disagree

Microwaving sponges might not kill germs (via TMN), and it just be a little dangerous (also).

· comments [6] · 01-30-2007 · categories:links ·

• 1 Ty // Jan 30, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I think the reason microwaving works is one, the radiation. I am sure that helps, but two, the water in the sponge boils and that kills the bacteria. I’ve been doing it for years, and no fiery sponges yet. I think the key is that the sponge is really wet so that you are really heating the water rather than the sponge itself.

I’ve got to say though, I’m not really sure why that one woman is trying to debunk a published scientific study.

After the second link though, I will be sure to have a very wet sponge from now on though! :)

• 2 Alexa // Jan 31, 2007 at 6:06 am

Of course one should throw out a sponge if it smells, that article is hardly news.

I’m in favor of the microwaving option as well. I also appreciate the comment about anti-bacterial items and super germs. Maybe CBS should post an article about that instead.

• 3 amee // Jan 31, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I agree. I’ve been doing this for years. no problems. You should def. microwave it and keep an eye on it. the stink goes away after 30 sec – 1min, depending on how much water you’ve got in it…

• 4 Molly // Feb 2, 2007 at 7:43 am

I have hear of microwaving sponges but never actually done it. I usually throw mine in the silverware caddy of my dishwasher. If you don;t have a dishwasher, Martha Stewart recommends putting them in the regular washing machine. I suppose you would throw them in with the towels.

• 5 Melissa // Feb 5, 2007 at 3:34 pm

We just toss ours in the dishwasher on a rotating basis to disinfect ‘em. It’s worked fine and one that was getting funky actually got de-funked this way.

• 6 Tim // Feb 7, 2007 at 12:49 am

I don’t use sponges because I just do not like them. Instead I use a microfibre cloth – which gets put into the washing machine – along with the teatowels etc and washed on a hot cycle. It keeps everything smelling lovely!