500 degrees

The knob on my Chefmate dutch oven is only oven safe up to 350 degrees, which isn’t nearly enough for the no-knead bread. I went in search of replacement options and found this Le Creuset branded stainless steel knob for about $10 (you can also find replacement phenolic knobs), and this mention on the Cook’s Illustrated message boards of simply using a stainless steel kitchen cabinet knob. I’ve seen other mentions of using a few nuts and a large washer, other people find wrapping the plastic Le Creuset knob in foil protects it well enough from high heat. I’ll report back on what I find and how it works. In the mean time, what do you use?

· comments [34] · 01-25-2007 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Marissa // Jan 25, 2007 at 11:40 am

I would just leave the knob off, and use a fork to pry the lid open. $10!!!

• 2 maryse // Jan 25, 2007 at 11:42 am

thanks for the information!

• 3 Gwen // Jan 25, 2007 at 11:58 am

I have a Le Creuset with a knob that can only go up to 400. I just remove it, plug the hole with foil, and slide the lid off carefully with silicone mitts.

• 4 Ty // Jan 25, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Hmm…I’m supposed to take the knob off to put it in the oven?? I will be reading over my Le Creuset Owner’s Manual very soon…Oops.

(But just fyi, I haven’t had any problems yet. Although I guess I usually don’t cook things in my Le Creuset over 400F…)

• 5 Rachel // Jan 25, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I have the chef’s mate and I use either foil or no knob, depending on my mood and how worried I am about losing the knob hardware.

• 6 megan // Jan 25, 2007 at 1:06 pm

I’m accident prone in the kitchen and I don’t trust myself to be able to pry a very hot knobless lid off of my dutch oven without burning the counter, the floor, or myself quite badly in the process. That’s why I’m going to replace it rather than simply take it off, for my toes.

• 7 jolie // Jan 25, 2007 at 1:20 pm

good to know that such a knob exists – I’ve just been using a plug of tin foil and sort of knocking the lid off with mitt-ed hands.

• 8 Karen in Wichita // Jan 25, 2007 at 1:34 pm

I’d just head down to the thrift store and paw through the jillion partnerless lids down there for a suitably heatproof handle. Or for a Pyrex lid of the appropriate size (which is what one of my non-enameled Dutch ovens has anyway… and I make no-knead bread in Corningware with a Pyrex lid, myself).

Failing that, I’m thinking a big ol’ eyebolt would be more practical than a knob anyway.

• 9 jird // Jan 25, 2007 at 2:05 pm

I just use a sheet of foil instead of using the lid, and it generally works fine.

• 10 megan // Jan 25, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Karen in Wichita – good ideas, thanks.

• 11 beth // Jan 25, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Could you jam a bit of tinfoil in the hole where the knob would be? I use a 3.5/ 4qt? calphalon dutch oven for the no knead bread- works great- pyrex could also work great, too, I would imagine.

• 12 mipmup // Jan 25, 2007 at 8:55 pm

i just remove mine when i need to bake at a high temp.

• 13 Theresa // Jan 25, 2007 at 11:39 pm

I was able to find a chefmate dutch oven and used it to cook my first loaf of kneadless bread. I double wrapped the knob in foil, having read that it’d be fiiiine. I was treated to the smell of roasting plastic the whole time, an odd rotten fishy smell.

I’ve baked a few loaves having just removed the knob, and it makes me a bit nervous to handle a lid that heavy/hot. Totally understand the need for a roastable knob.

• 14 Emily // Jan 26, 2007 at 7:24 am

It worries me to use any nonmetal knob, covered with foil or not, in any temperature oven. All the warnings about cooking with plastic(s) has me scared. I love the idea of the le creuset stainless knob or just a kitchen cab or drawer pull. Thank you!

• 15 melissa // Jan 26, 2007 at 8:02 am

i made the no-knead bread in my ~7 qt. le creuset dutch oven last week, and (since it’s new) it was the first time i’d used it at such a high temp. i just took the knob off. it wasn’t hard to get the lid on and off with oven mitts, and i didn’t bother to plug the hole – everything worked just fine. (i don’t think the bread recipe is that finicky!) thanks a lot for posting about the stainless knob…i was already planning to replace the knob with a new one, and it’s nice to know those exist!

• 16 nazilam // Jan 26, 2007 at 9:23 am

We have about 8 le creuset dutch ovens in various sizes, some do not have knobs, but handles made out of iron.

To tell you the truth, I have never really roasted in one or baked in one, just use them on the stove top.

Guess, I’m really missing out, huh?

nm

• 17 Gail // Jan 26, 2007 at 5:05 pm

I am not wanting to risk using my LeCreuset pot at that high a temp. There must be something elso out there.
    Pryex is risky, has any one used a terra cotta pot? If so do you emerse it in water first?

Thankyou, Gail

• 18 Lilly // Jan 26, 2007 at 10:33 pm

I’m gonna sound silly here, but for the astronomical price of Les Creusets they should really toss in that $10 (probably costs them a lot less than that) steel knob as part of the deal! And a little velvet bag to keep the extra knob in (you can keep the little protective plastic clips in it too).

(Everyone gets those clips with their pot, right? I carefully put them when I store it, and keep a little plastic ziplock bag inside the pot for storing them when I’m cooking.)

• 19 McAuliflower // Jan 27, 2007 at 10:47 am

Clips? My creuset didn’t come with those… what are they for?

I too pondered the knob before using the pan for bread, but just used it anyway.

No foil, no melting, no nose detectable off-gassing.

I agree- Creuset should really just include the metal ones (heck- why isn’t the included knob enameled metal to begin with?!

• 20 megan // Jan 27, 2007 at 2:04 pm

McAuliflower – I think it’s those little plastic things that slide over the lip of the pot and keep the lid just off of contact. I’m not sure what they are meant for – if you flip the lid upside down to store maybe it prevents enamel chips? Or keep airflow during storage? I got three with my Chefmate and plan on keeping them for storage purposes.

The Ikea pots have a cast enamel knob as well, attached right to the lid. Is there some reason a removable knob is desirable in the Le Creuset?

• 21 Lilly // Jan 27, 2007 at 10:12 pm

I’m pretty sure the clips are for keeping the lid and pot from potentially damaging each other in storage and also it’s handy in transit, though I suppose you can just wrap the lid in paper. I bang around my pots a lot searching for things in the cabinet. I’m more careful with Le Creuset!

• 22 Susie // Jan 28, 2007 at 3:39 pm

I have made the no-knead bread in my Le Creuset twice, and I didn’t bother taking off the handle either time. It doesn’t seem to have hurt the handle at all – am I just tempting fate?

• 23 Annette // Feb 5, 2007 at 10:53 am

Thanks for the great tip! I just got mine in the mail this weekend, it’s so much easier than unscrewing, then covering with foil, the re-screwing. Great find!

• 24 Cupcakes // Feb 10, 2007 at 7:11 pm

did anyone notice their pot discoloring? my red chefmate pot is now a lovely shade of burgundy.

• 25 megan // Feb 10, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Oh no!

• 26 sandy // Feb 14, 2007 at 1:01 am

Will a ceramic casserole dish work ok for this?

• 27 megan // Feb 14, 2007 at 10:10 am

Sandy – Yes. You can see a picture of the one I use here, it’s a large Corningware casserole (or dutch oven) with a glass lid.

• 28 treeverte // Feb 19, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Buy a nut, a bolt and two washers at the hardware store. This is not a replacement knob but will plug up the hole. Insert the bolt thru a washer thru the hole on top of the lib,then flip lid and place another washer around the bolt, and then and the washer and tighten!
    Easy and cheap!

• 29 brandon // Feb 19, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Hey, I couldnt leave a comment on flickr for some reason…but corning wear can go on the stove top it’s a mix of glass and ceramic. normal pyrex cannot. Good luck.

• 30 No-Knead Bread, months late. « Kate F____, Girl Reporter // Mar 6, 2007 at 10:23 am

[...] Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 in Uncategorized Back in November I was, of course, intrigued by Bittman’s article about No-Knead Bread—the entire internet seemed to be obsessed, too, and everyone was trying it and writing about it. I was concerned about the plastic Le Creuset handle in the hot oven, though, and didn’t get around to trying it until around Valentine’s day. (Pictures of my first batch, along with the steak, orzo, broccoli and wilted spinach salad we had for dinner that night, followed by fallen chocolate cakes, were lost in a camera memory card disaster.) I was tipped off to the existence of stainless steel knobs for the dutch oven on Not Martha, and I ordered one right away. Before and after: [...]

• 31 orchidophile // Mar 23, 2007 at 8:01 pm

I did. I was a little worried, but 20 minutes later, it returned to its original color.

• 32 erich // Oct 11, 2007 at 5:56 pm

the phenolic nob on my #28 is stripped due to the heavy weight of the cover, does anyone have suggestions?

• 33 ms // May 5, 2009 at 6:32 pm

the plastic knob of my le creuset 7-qt enameled french oven was damaged from being in the oven for only 30 minutes at 425 (in preparation for baking no-knead bread). i heard a couple popping noises then noticed a burning-plastic smell and it turned out a little piece inside the knob broke off. oops! i plugged the hole with foil to bake the bread, but i’m planning to buy one of the stainless steel knobs so i don’t have to worry.

i agree they should be sold with the steel knobs!

• 34 rudy // Aug 3, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Does anyone know whether the Le Creuset knob fits the Lodge brand enameled dutch oven lid? My phenolic knob shattered.