home improvements

Shelter installs an Ikea Lack shelf and discovers it’s a pain in the ass. We have three of these in our office room and luckily managed to hit at least one stud for each shelf.

Domicile makes this inspiration board which can take pins, gives great instructions, lets us know how to ask for Homasote at Home Depot, and has me thinking of all the places I need these.

Busywork makes a rollerblind using a kit. Notice the nice wooden top roller? The rollerblind kits I’ve seen in the US (so far) have cardboard tubes. Also take a look at dressing up a dressing table.

· comments [7] · 01-16-2007 · categories:the home ·

• 1 melissa f. // Jan 16, 2007 at 1:55 pm

oh that’s funny about the homasote question– we’ve had several fruitless phone coversations with hardware places about this… i’m going to go try it again now.

• 2 splatgirl // Jan 16, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I’ll post this on the Shelter site as well…FYI on the LACK shelf thing: you gotta drill your own holes in the metal bracket thingie instead of using the ones already in it. The hole spacing that IKEA uses has nothing in common with any wall I’ve ever seen but it takes two whole minutes to mark and drill the bracket according to YOUR walls’ stud spacing and then you can load that baby up to your heart’s content.

• 3 megan // Jan 16, 2007 at 3:52 pm

splatgirl – excellent tip, thanks.

• 4 Abbie // Jan 17, 2007 at 9:43 am

I have put up several of those Lack shelves, both in plaster and drywall, and never had a problem. Currently I’ve got 4 of them in the house. I made sure to use heavy-duty wall anchors but never measured for studs or redrilled the brackets. I wonder.

• 5 Kstyle // Jan 17, 2007 at 10:02 am

Hi Megan,

Just discovered your blog via She’s a betty. Love all your links and creative content. I’m going to link you on my “morning coffee visits” today. Drop on over at Kstyle. I think you will like. Thanks so much. k

• 6 Jenn // Jan 17, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Love love love the rollerblinds– think that it’s possible to just disassemble an existing rollerblind, add fabric of choice, and reassemble?

• 7 megan // Jan 17, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Hello Jenn – Yes, absolutely. Before you you start to rip, however, check to be sure the existing roller blinds won’t be damaged.