Vancouver bound

We’re headed up to Vancouver next weekend and I’m compiling a list of Canadian-only things I must do:

– get some SPF 15 Anthelios sunscreen (previously)

– eat at Tim Horton’s many times

– find some pink grapefruit Mentos

– visit Daiso (though, this might have been recently made unnecessary as the Daiso in downtown Seattle has opened)

– visit The Perfume Shoppe, which I heard about on this episde (#3) of the Lip Gloss and Laptops podcast, which is a really great thing to listen to while sewing and lucky me they talk about Seattle quite a bit. They keep a great cosmetics blog in addition to the podcasts, take a look.

– visit Cupcakes on Denman.

If you’ve got any Canadian specific items or Vancouver suggestions I’d greatly appreciate hearing them!

· comments [69] · 01-15-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Alyson // Jan 15, 2007 at 8:59 am

Tim Horton’s!!! Canadian Crack!! Those TimBits just kill me. And ya know, they stratigically position those stores right over the border.

Gotta hit the closest Murchie’s Coffee and Tea when you get to BC. I know, I live in the land of Starbucks, but I am an unrepentant tea-drinker. Love their Library Blend and No. 10 Blend. Hubby loves their Canadian Blend coffee. That reminds me, gotta get some more. Since our local Costco no longer has their coffee roaster, hubby will soon be in need of a new coffee fix. Thank God, you can mail order from Murchie’s.

Speaking of Libraries (I was, really, just look up above), check out the Vancouver Public Library downtown. Just a glimpse of the building makes me all weak in the knees. Puts Seattle’s to shame. Oh! And Granville Island Public Market. Like Pike Place, but nicer, cleaner, WARMER, and dozens of other places to check out around it.

• 2 nykat // Jan 15, 2007 at 9:01 am

Another Tim Horton’s fan! I’m from Western New York and now living in Arkansas. I miss having a Tim Horton’s right down the road! Luckily, I have my family ship the coffee to me! YUM

• 3 amanda // Jan 15, 2007 at 9:43 am

I think the Daiso in Vancouver is bigger than the ones in the Seattle area (downtown Seattle, Alderwood Mall and Federal Way Commons) so it still might be worth visiting.
    I totally agree with you on the Tim Hortons – love that place!!! :)

• 4 itchy // Jan 15, 2007 at 9:59 am

Ketchup potato chips! Yum!

• 5 amy // Jan 15, 2007 at 10:01 am

I forgot about pink grapefruit Mentos!! A friend’s dad gets random candies/snacks thru his job & I loved these. It’s just like eating a grapefruit isn’t it? Oh now you’ve done it, I have to figure out a way to get my hands on them again …

• 6 little things // Jan 15, 2007 at 10:27 am

Although I am able to get my Daiso fix with the stores that have opened here in the Seattle area, the Daiso in Aberdeen Centre in Richmond, BC, has a much wider selection of merchandise and is about 5 times bigger than the Alderwood Mall location. It’s definitely worth a look-see. While you are at Aberdeen Center, also stop by the Central Atrium to see the musical fountain show that is held hourly starting at noon. While it’s not as grand as the Fountains of Bellagio, it’s fun to watch!

• 7 vespabelle // Jan 15, 2007 at 10:55 am

The food court at the Aberdeen Mall has some really tasty food too! And a fun arcade with at least 10 different photo booths that allow you to choose backgrounds and annotate your photos.

I usually go for all you can eat sushi at Tampopo which is on Denman, practically right above cupcakes.

My truly must have item from Vancouver is Siegals Bagels”> which proclaims the way only a Canadian that they are “Possibly” the best bagels in the world. They freeze really well, so buy several dozen! (cut before you freeze to reduce morning frustrations!)

• 8 Lisa Gambrell // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:08 am

I have two food related suggestions:

French fries with cheese curds and gravy:
    which is a French-Canadian concoction.

Nestle’s Smarties:
    They are similiar to M&Ms, but with a thicker candy shell. I don’t even like M& Ms, but Smarties rock!

• 9 Karen // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:10 am

Here are a few ideas for you:

Urban Source (http://www.urbansource.bc.ca) is a crafter’s paradise! They charge you by the bag, so you can get a lot of really cool stuff for very little money.

Are you a sushi fan? If so definitely check out Shabusen (http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=47) for all-you-can-eat sushi and korean BBQ. Lunch is quite affordable at $12. Dinner is a bit pricier.

• 10 Petra // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:13 am

I found the Bare Escentuals make-up in Vancouver at the Essentials Spa on 4356 W10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V6R 2H7. Only $30.00.

• 11 Sarah // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:54 am

You absolutely MUST get yourself over to Dressew on Hastings north of downtown. They have an entire basement devoted to the most lovely laces, tassels, *dingleballs* and any other notion you can think of, and it’s all REALLY cheap. Bring cash, though.

• 12 juliann // Jan 15, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Just a quick Daiso note. . . I finally got to go to the Alderwood store when I was home for Christmas (yes, I still call it home even after years of being away) based on all your fabulous photos and suggestions. I fell in love. I could have bought one of each of all the chopsticks. Chopsticks to die for.

• 13 Ani // Jan 15, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Tim Horton was a must on my list. And Toronto had really good hot dogs. I wonder if Vancouver does too.

• 14 Jihan // Jan 15, 2007 at 1:55 pm

Hi,
    I’m in need of B.C. fix myself.

You MUST…
    -Go to Capers (fantastic grocery store)! They have prepared food that is super tasty too.
    -Shop Robson Street of course!
    -Check out “Little India” off Grand Street. Himalaya has the best buffet. I love buying my colorful textiles there to make table runners, pillowcases, etc.
    (My FAVORITE Indian restaurant is called Vij’s. http://www.vijs.ca
    It’s owned by Sarah McLauchlan’s Indian brother-in-law. I sat next to Goldie Hawn the last time I was there! They have a FANTASTIC menu! They also have a pre-made and frozen to-go shop next door. It’s the same food inside the restaurant, but a little cheaper.)
    -You also cannot forget to shop Yaletown and 4th Street/Kitsilano http://www.kitsilano4thavenue.com
    (There’s some unique shopping also in the West Davie area–it’s like Seattle’s Cap Hill)
    -You must get your “Bounty” dark chocolate and coconut candy bars while you’re up there as well. They’re like “Mounds” bars but 100 times better.

Have a fantastic weekend!
    Jihan

• 15 Jilliana` // Jan 15, 2007 at 2:02 pm

I always stock up on ketchup-flavored Lays, while my boyfriend buys about five bags of the bacon flavor so he can bring them to work.

• 16 Monica // Jan 15, 2007 at 2:33 pm

La Casa Gelato was awesome when I went there.

• 17 Karla // Jan 15, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I lived in Vancouver for three years. My picks:
    1) I echo the Dressew recommendation — it’s within walking of everything and you will adore the basement. When we lived in Vancouver I’d go there just for a fun outing.
    2) And follow the advice of seeing the public library, stop for a lunch of the yummiest ramen soup you could imagine at Ezogiku diagonally across the street. I can personally attest that the Vancouver location beats the Honolulu and Tokyo locations.
    3) If you take the skytrain, get off at Metrotown and check out Crystal Shopping Center — a cool Hong-Kong style shopping center across the street from Metrotown Mall.

• 18 Tasha // Jan 15, 2007 at 2:45 pm

For really great doughnuts forget Tim Horton’s mass produced offerings and head to Lee’s Doughnuts on Granville Island – simply the best!

If you are over in the Granville Island area head to Patisserie on West 2nd & Burrard, amazing Belgian waffles!

I second Urban Source – ever changing range of stuff & lots of fun! While you are on Main check out Smoking Lilly a really cool shop (smokinglilly.com).

• 19 Richard // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:04 pm

1) Go see Stanley Park for us. The Canadian media and Vancouverites are making like it’s been destroyed by bad weather, but I suspect it’s nothing compared to 2003 when Hurricane Juan hit Canada’s East Coast. Port Pleasant Park was destroyed, 70,000 trees lost.

2) Food: I write about food and wine in Nova Scotia, so it’s dear to my heart, and my best Vancouver memories begin and end with restaurants. Tojo’s on Broadway might be the most incredible Japanese restaurant on the NA continent. Let him design a dinner for you! (About $50 a head… perhaps the most memorable meal of my life). Where to Eat in Canada also recommends these restaurants as reasonable: Bin 941/ Bin 924 on Broadway; The Naam on W 4th; Montri on W Broadway; Monsoon on Main St; and Vij’s Rangoli on West 11th Avenue. I can recommend other, more expenisve places, if you let me know.

3) As a red-blooded Canadian male, might I suggest seeing if the Vancouver Canucks are playing. Even if you don’t like hockey, there are few sports more exciting to watch live.

• 20 Richard // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:08 pm

4) Sorry, I forgot… also check out the work of Canadian Emily Carr at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Her paintings leave me breathless!

• 21 megan // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:16 pm

note to self: bring back sugar coca-cola.

• 22 Tara // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:26 pm

YES to all of things but let me tell you other things that you must bring back.
    1. Okagnagan Peach Hard Cider(any BC liquor store)
    2.Butter Chicken Curry Paste(Kitchens of India) try a local grocer on Commercial Drive or Stongs grocer on the Westside.
    3.Ginger candy, Wasabi peas
    4.Rice crackers-see any store
    5. Drink Good Coffee @ JJBean(Main, Granville Island, Commercial Dr.) or Bean Around The World
    6. Go shop on Main from Broadway to 37thish
    7.Go hang at Granville Island
    9. Eat some dang good sushi-all over

———–
    eat at
    1. Havana-on Commercial Drive(amazing food …cuban cuisine
    2.Vij’s yes pricy, but worth it(Indian).

• 23 emira // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:32 pm

While you’re here Dine Out Vancouver is on (if you didn’t already know). Seattle has this kind of thing too, where a bunch of restaurants do the cheaper set dinner price. Info here.

We’re doing a couple ourselves, some are likely already sold out, especially near weekends, but it’s worth a shot. All the menus are online, but just email me if you want more inside info.

• 24 emira // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Oh and as for Stanley Park Richard, it is actually kind of exactly that bad. Not sure if it amounts to Port Pleasant tree for tree, but it’s pretty awful. I saw it from the air flying over for a client meeting shortly after and it was heartbreaking. Many, many areas with a tiny fraction of remaining trees standing and more have fallen since. It’s pretty bleak. Not sure if you’ll be able to see much of it though Megan (unless you fly up harbour to harbour from Seattle and go over top), as they’ve got most of the forested areas of the park closed still I think.

• 25 Julia // Jan 15, 2007 at 3:58 pm

As a Canadian it is so interesting to read about what Americans are missing…ketchup chips, smarties, Timmy Ho Ho’s…have a great trip!

• 26 Richard // Jan 15, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Emira… I hope that I didn’t sound glib and unsympathetic! Just the opposite.

Stanley Park is beautiful, and I’m sorry to hear that it’s been so badly damaged. I’ve seen photos, and it seems like a terrible loss, but it’s not always easy to tell, since I get my news from CBC Radio.

I love Vancouver; I wish I could live there.

A significant chunk of Halifax was changed so dramatically by Hurricane Juan in 2003, so I do understand. (And it literally hit me where I live, since Juan made landfall in my neighborhood). Point Pleasant Park won’t be recreated in my lifetime.

I hope Stanley Park will heal sooner.

I posted a few photos from that time on my blog, in case you’d like to see… and more on my Flickr account.

It seems to me that we can expect more of this in the future, with climate change such an issue. More severe weather, more sacred places destroyed.

It breaks my heart.

• 27 Smart Like Streetcar » Blog Archive » Halifax’s Stanley Park // Jan 15, 2007 at 4:58 pm

[...] On Not Martha, I made an insensitive post asking about Vancouver’s Stanley Park, which has been damaged by severe weather in BC over the last several months. [...]

• 28 Jo-Anne // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I’d actually stay away from Tanpopo Sushi above Cupcakes. The food inspectors have closed it down a number of times over the past few years, usually for not having hot water. As for Tojo’s, he closing soon so you might want to check before heading that far down Broadway.

Vij’s is wonderful and on the expensive side. He owns the restaurant right next door as well, Rangoli, and it is by far my favorite place for Indian food.

Dressew for sure, and the Main Street drag from about 14th to 22nd has an enormous amount of funky stores (Barefoot Contessa!!!), and of course stopping for bagels with lox and cream cheese at Solly’s at Main and 17th is a must. Ruby Dog is slightly off the beaten track for main, but if you’re into collage you could spend hours in there (4738 Main).

Havana on the Drive has gone downhill of late. Stella’s, kitty corner to it however, is to die for. Their beer selection is second to none, and the tapas menu has something for every taste.

Daiso is dangerously fun!

Oh, and dress warm. It’s been darn freezing up here as of late, and we’re getting ready for anther snowstorm tonight.

• 29 kat // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

thanks for the info on the sunscreen! Unfortunately LRP stuff is EXPENSIVE in Japan – I bought a 30ml tube of LRP UVIDEA XL (SPF 50) for around 3000 yen. I use it sparingly everyday!!

• 30 Anne T. // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

I am hooked on the ginger beef from Kam’s Singaporean Cuisine at 1043 Davie Street. Get a copy of the free local entertainment paper called “The Georgia Straight” and you will find a two for one coupon for Kam’s. (http://www.straight.com )

I too am a huge fan of Lee’s Donuts on Granville Island but will settle for Horton’s (Timmy Ho’s) if I do not want to fight the Island crowds.

• 31 stacey // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:47 pm

Kintaro Ramen on Denman at Robson has TODIEFOR ramen – no reservations, and almost always a lineup, so choose a slightly early dinner or lunch if you want to go. Also, all the ramens are in a pork broth, so don’t bother going if you don’t like pork.

I seem to remember that you’ve hit Main St. before, but don’t forget about Birkeland Brothers wool shop, if you’re still into knitting. They often have delicious little hand-spun yarns; so does Maiwa on Granville Island.

Hrm hrm. The only other things I know about are skate shops. Feel free to drop me a line when you’re in town; I live right near Granville Island. :) Have a good time!

• 32 Laural // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I join the chorus for Dressew, it’s my favorite place ever. I also have a whole list of other favorite Vancouver places here (http://www.thimble.ca/?p=522) and here(http://www.thimble.ca/?p=525). Regional Assembly of Text on Main St is one of my favorite shops, and the bubble tea at Dragon Ball on Oak and 25th is amazing! Have Fun!

• 33 Gillian // Jan 15, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Try Labello lip stuff! It comes in a gloss-tint that is awesome, and it’s cheap and available at any Shopper’s Drug Mart. Have a great trip!

• 34 jess // Jan 15, 2007 at 7:28 pm

to make things easier next time – CVS carries the la roche-posay anthelios sunscreen in SPF 15. dunno whether you have CVS out west, but that’s where I got mine.

have a great time in vancouver! my sis just moved there, and i am looking forward to many a visit.

• 35 Irene // Jan 15, 2007 at 7:49 pm

You said before that you were looking for some new lip balm. Go into any canadian drugstore and pick up one of the many different types of LaBello. It dosn’t get any better than that stuff and you can’t get it in the states

• 36 megan // Jan 15, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Jess – you’ve got it, we don’t have any CVS stores in Washington state. I could order online, but as long as I’m headed to Vancouver I’ll just grab some.

Emira – thanks for the heads up on Dine Out Vancouver! I hope we can find an open spot.

Thanks to everybody for the excellent suggestions. I’m dismayed to hear about Stanley Park, and a bit embarrassed I didn’t know about that already. We’re staying near Denman street this time and I’m looking forward to hanging out in a more residential part of the city. But we’re going to get to some of the small boutiques that carry clothes made by local designers as well.

• 37 jill // Jan 15, 2007 at 9:43 pm

I live in Buffalo, so we get the Tim Horton’s fix whenever we like. :)

while in vancouver:

ketchup chips.

poutine.

aero bars.

coffee crisps.

and see a canucks game.

• 38 trixieb // Jan 15, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Kindereggs. So plentiful in Canada, so hard to come by here.

• 39 hag // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:30 pm

I live in Vancouver So I hope you enjoy Vancouver…BTW in post 14 ‘Little India’ was mentioned…but Grand St(never heard of it)it is on MAIN st and around 49th Avenue.
    -Dressew on Hastings …yes! Cash only.
    -Main Street from about Broadway (aka 9th ave) avenue up to King Edward Ave. (aka 25th). YES!! Walk up one side of the street and down the other! Too many good shops to mention but, Lazy Susan’s and Regional Assembly of Text both on Main (mentioned before) are great.
    -Commercial Drive. coffee, good food options, good shops.
    - Granville Island – always a good bet…take the aquabus or False Creek Ferries across from the West End (where you are staying) for a little bit of fun.

I would forget Yaletown, if time is of the essence…Davie St, and Denman St. have an intersting scene.

BTW, near Denman St…could be called residential…but I wouldn’t, it is in the West End which is VERY densly populated (lots of apartment high-rises)…so be prepared for that…but you will have fun I am sure.

WE don’t have CVS…but I know Shoppers Drug Mart and likely London Drugs both carry the coveted sunscreen.
    Yes , Stanley Park did lose many trees…I am not sure how much of it is open…so I might give it a miss this time.
    Also Poutine is really a Quebec thing ( way across the country) so if I was going to try it for the first time…I would wait ’til I was there.
    Hope this helps…
    have fun!

• 40 megan // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Trixieb – ah, thank you.

Hag – regarding Denman, I think I meant to say something along the lines of: not as commercial as Robson.

• 41 Clair // Jan 16, 2007 at 12:00 am

I adore Vancouver! Being in Oregon I don’t get to go up as much as I’d like.

I adore The White Spot. On the outside it looks like it might be like a Shari’s but NO. They have the best burgers with Triple O sauce which is tasty and the name amuses me. And if you don’t do burgers, it is still good breakfasts and other items.

Ketchup chips have been rec’d, but must give them their props. Mmmmmm.

The Gelato place next to Cupcakes on Denman.

• 42 nancy // Jan 16, 2007 at 7:45 am

There’s a Cupcakes store on West Broadway, around Trafalgar St. now too. If you haven’t been along Main Street, there are lots of good shops and restaurants there (mostly between 16th and 33rd). Habit is a good small plates restaurant on Main http://habitlounge.ca. My fave Thai place is Sawasdee at Main and 27th. Liberty cafe at Main and 21st is a good place for a sandwich and coffee and baked goods.

• 43 Peariso // Jan 16, 2007 at 8:39 am

great breakfast at the SPOT at the corner of Deman and Robson.

Local food and good coffee. Man I miss Vancouver coffee…

• 44 Airdrie // Jan 16, 2007 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the linkage! Enjoy your stay in Vancouver!!

• 45 Nicole // Jan 16, 2007 at 8:52 am

Coffee Crisp candy bars – I sometimes can find these at the dollar stores, but I don’t chance it and I stock up
    Reese Cups – three to a pack, better chocolate
    Canadian Coke – sweetened with sugar not corn syrup
    Tim Horton’s

• 46 Maple-boy // Jan 16, 2007 at 9:21 am

Sushi, Tampopo is right beside Cupcakes, but a new favourite in town is Richmond Sushi (after your visit to Daiso — a very popular all you can eat, mind you Richmond has some great Dim Sum too.

• 47 gaile // Jan 16, 2007 at 11:29 am

You must eat at the Naam in Kitsilano! Best best veggie food ever, great atmosphere, and it’s worth the drive because kitsilano beach is really cool, especially if it’s sunny – gorgeous view.

• 48 stacey // Jan 16, 2007 at 11:29 am

Oh, forgot to mention, there is a lot of construction going on downtown and along Cambie. So the person who said avoid Yaletown is right; lots of street closures and stuff. Check out these sites for traffic updates, and totally avoid Cambie and Main when you come into town.

• 49 Heather // Jan 16, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I third the recommendation for Coffee Crisps candy bars. You can get them anywhere they sell candy up there (at least if BC is like Ontario and Nova Scotia). Wonderful.

• 50 amy // Jan 16, 2007 at 4:34 pm

yah! you are going to make it to cupcakes! it is very cute, although i’ll be curious how you rate their cupcakes, i am not as much a fan of the food as the cuteness of the store (i even bought a t-shirt there!). silly i know.

if you like gelato, i suggest getting some while up there too. we don’t have a good selection in seattle and up there the stores have tons of flavors!

now i have to write down all the tips in your comments because i make it up to vancouver often and all the new ideas are great!

• 51 PurrrL // Jan 16, 2007 at 5:53 pm

My current haunts include:
    .:Commercial Drive for coffee, namely Caffe Roma Sports Bar for their Americano w/milk. Really.Good.
    .:Parkside Restaurant (on Haro, a block west of Denman). Sit at the bar and ask Charles or Jeff to mix you any one of the cocktails on their list, they’re all great. My drink of all time is their Lemondrop (made with housemade sorbet)
    .:Daiso still enraptures me every time I visit, I just cannot leave without buying something.
    .:Octopus’ Garden (over the Burrard bridge from downtown, on Cornwall near Kits Beach) for really great Japanese food in a cozy, interestingly decorated little room. Chefs Sadasan and Mikisan are very smiley happy fun.
    .:Fritz for Belgian Fries, poutine style or not. See my post here
    Enjoy your stay!

• 52 Diana // Jan 16, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Yes to Dressew if you are a fabrics and notions junkie
    Soma Coffee
    Regional Assembly of Text
    Urban Source
    all on Main, along with many many other great shops & places to eat.
    Lovely Design sometimes lets people visit her studio…
    Badly Drawn Boy is playing at Richard’s on Richards soon if you’re a fan…

• 53 Beata // Jan 16, 2007 at 6:47 pm

If you have time for fabric, you should check out a fabric shop called TEXTILE CLEARANCE on Fraser Street just north of East 41st Ave — I think the fabric selection is better than at Dressew with everything being $10 or less (Candian, that is…) Have fun!

• 54 alice // Jan 16, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Please heed the advice of the poster above and avoid Tanpopo Sushi! It’s popular but NOT a great sushi place. For great sushi, hit Sakana Bistro in Yaletown (dinner is much better than lunch), Toshi Sushi at Main & 16th (expect a line up), Yuji on W. 4th or Wabi Sabi in Point Grey (on the pricey side), just to name a few. Oh yes, Octopus Garden (also mentioned by someone above) is another good one. HOWEVER, my number one recommendation is to hit an “izakaya” style Japanese restaurant. It’s like Japanese tapas, and they rarely have sushi on the menu. You’ll love it. Izakayas include Guu (three locations downtown, including Robson), Gyoza King (on Robson) and Kingyo (on Denman). Get the ebi mayo!

• 55 alice // Jan 16, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Sorry, just a few more things: if you’re staying by Denman, you don’t have to worry about Cambie St. traffic affecting your access to Yaletown. You can walk there by walking straight down Davie Street. But as someone mentioned, Yaletown isn’t essential if you’re pressed for time. You mentioned wanting to check out local designers, and there are more interesting boutiques in Gastown and along Main Street (outside of downtown). The Denman area (West End) does have many residents, but it’s not what I’d consider “residential” as there are almost no houses. To get into the residential areas you really need to go outside of downtown. Enjoy your trip!

• 56 Maureen // Jan 17, 2007 at 3:20 am

I’m in Alberta, right next door, but if you want to buy in bulk, Costco should have grapefruit Mentos. Also check out the Mentos gum. It super hotty pepperminty, but so addictive.
    What’s this about ketchup chips? It’s the first thing my 23 year old son mentioned when I asked what I could add to the list.
    Boston Pizza and Earls are our mass marketed restaurants of choice.

• 57 Jaimie // Jan 17, 2007 at 9:06 am

You’ve received lots of suggestions already, but I don’t think anyone’s suggested shopping at Canadian store Lululemon for athletic clothes. Even if you are not really a sporty type, they make EXCELLENT yoga pants that are flattering and stylish (as well as great tank tops, sports bras, etc.). It’s a little pricey but their clothes are truly well made (Lululemon even got a mention in this month’s InStyle magazine!)

I also second the recommendation for Canadian chocolate: Coffee Crisp, Smarties, Nestle Crunch (flaky peanut buttery filling like Butterfinger), Wunderbar.

• 58 gadgetgirl // Jan 17, 2007 at 9:35 am

You’ll have to hit Urban Source on Main St. (3126 Main St.) and Dressew at E.Hastings & Cambie. Put aside an hour or 2 for Dressew. 2 levels of fabric, notions and rock-bottom prices!

I recently moved from Vancouver to Edmonton and am seriously missing those places. I hope to visit in the spring to stock up. Have fun!!

• 59 cheriwan // Jan 17, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I will add and agree that Vij’s and Tojo sushi are the absolute BEST- top of my list! We were fortunate enough to have Tojo make us the “Omakase” (Chef’s choice) for 10 of us in a Tatmi room on my 32nd birthday, and I will never ever forget it. I will have to say, thought, that we went to Muraya (spelling) the next night for possibly a rival Indian dinner to Vij’s. The room is absolutely gorgeous. And how funny, we were seated next to Goldie Hawn and Kurt too! I also have been wanting to try West, but it’s pretty pricy, and I always would rather visit Tojo’s and spend my money there, so hopefully I’ll get back there soon and make it on over. Since you are a cream junkie, I thought I would mention my favorite that I ALWAYS stock up on. My sister introduced me, and I can swoon over it. It’s called “Herbacin” and it comes in a green packaging with a yellow flower- I prefer the hand cream in the tin, but my sister prefers the squeeze tube. I have both, and both are periously low. Let me know if you try it! Have a great time for us all!

• 60 Kappy Liu // Jan 17, 2007 at 6:39 pm

If you love Anthelios, you should also try Effaclar K from la Roche Posay. It is awesome if you have oily skin.

• 61 **Terramia** // Jan 17, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Take a trip on the ferry to the beautiful capital and “garden city”, Victoria…
    Indulge in a delicious organic, local meal at MOLE, or some takeout at Noodlebox in those cute ittybitty traditional Chinese boxes.
    Dress pretty and go for high tea at The Empress (if you can afford it)… check out Smoking Lily for some gorgeous threads (tiniest clothing shop in the world!). And tour the hip stores in Fan Tan Alley in Chinatown while you are at it!
    Enjoy a cuppa warmth at Mirage coffeehouse on Government street, and stop in at Oqoqo and Gloss Beauty Bar for some goods. Everything is central downtown Vic, and all that is cool and fun is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from one another.
    And be sure to do some beachcombing!
    Bon Voyage! (:

• 62 Alice // Jan 18, 2007 at 6:44 am

This is my first time visiting your blog, and what a coincidence, I’m from Vancouver!
    I can’t believe I’ve never heard of Dressew before, but am very excited to go!

I agree with so many of the above, but for sure check out the following:

-Lululemon Athletic (the most comfortable yoga pants!)
    -Urban Source
    -The Naam, veggie restaurant (my fave!)
    -Ruby Dog’s Art House on Main Street
    -Segals Bagels (Amazing!)
    -Cupcakes (adorable shop, although not everyone likes the cupcakes)
    -Stanley Park (It is really horrible how many trees fell down, and you can get some amazing photos of enormous trees covering paths and such)
    -True Value Vintage on Robson at Granville (Great thrift store)
    -Vancouver Art Gallery

Hope you have a great trip!

• 63 inspired in Canada // Jan 18, 2007 at 12:22 pm

“eat at Tim Hortons many times”…this made me laugh out loud! Thank you!!!

• 64 McAuliflower // Jan 19, 2007 at 9:47 am

sorry to hear of your delay.

While not a Canada only type of thing, we’ve been quite surprised at how cheap sushi is… quite order-so-much-the-staff-laugh-at-you surprised.

Finding different candy flavors (mmm kit kats) is always fun! Can’t wait to hear about the grapefruit altoids!

• 65 Allisonv // Jan 22, 2007 at 6:05 am

I second the recc. for the Naam, and it’s open 24 hours, which is great if you end up wanting to eat late.

• 66 Angela // Jan 22, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Sounds like you will miss DOV, but mail me closer to the date when you are coming and there are sure to be some great places to go.

West has an early prix fixe menu. Ajisai in Kerrisdale does beautiful sushi, Hachi Bei on 16th between Cambie and Oak is where all of my ex-pat friends go for “home-cooking”.

Nuba is right across the street from Dressew and has wonderful Lebanese food.

Don’t miss Button, Button around the corner and down the block from Dressew – she gets some really interesting vintage buttons in. (422 W. Cordova St.)

HTH

• 67 Walter Raleigh // Jan 23, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Buy Canadian cigarettes — U.S. nonsmokers and smokers alike will be fascinated by the huge, truly horrifying images on every pack — things like diseased throats, gruesome tumors, orphaned children. They make our generic warning boxes look almost like sales pitches

• 68 Lucy // Feb 20, 2007 at 9:14 pm

JJ Bean coffee shop.
    Corner of Main and 14th.
    They know their coffee.

• 69 Kat Von D // Jul 3, 2007 at 9:05 am

Kat Von D…

I Googled for something completely different, but found your page…and have to say thanks. nice read….