Drugstore Doubles

Paula Begoun’s list of href="http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=163">drugstore doubles, via Lip Gloss and Laptops. The double for Creme de La Mer is Dove Essential Nutrients Night Cream, which I was completely unable to find when I went to buy some today. According to Dove.ca “Essential Nutrients® Night Cream is now Deep Moisture Night Cream”, which I cannot find on the US site, just an SPF facial moisturizer. I guess I’ll add Deep Moisture Night Cream to my Canada to-do list and I’ll let you know if it’s working wonders the way I expect La Mer would if I were to shell out for it.

· comments [10] · 01-15-2007 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 erika // Jan 15, 2007 at 11:40 am

Re: Paula Begoun: You mentioned her a while back and I’ve bought many of her products and recommendations. I’ve been completely happy. I especially like the tip of adding baking soda to cleanser once or twice a week as a very cheap (and effective) exfoliator. Thank you for the head’s up. ;)

• 2 Mer // Jan 15, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I’m telling ya, the Dove products rock!

BTW, Loreal and Lancome are owned by the same company. Buy Loreal and you’ll get the same quality for far less money.

• 3 Lori // Jan 15, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I’d definitely say try the Dove. I did shell out for the La Mer a couple years ago and I was NOT impressed. Very, very thick consistency that needs to be warmed in your hands before applying. Too heavy unless you’ve got very dry skin.

• 4 miranda // Jan 15, 2007 at 9:59 pm

My mom bought La Mer around 5 years ago: she had a small inheritance and decided to splurge to see what it’s about. I was able to use some. I thought it was better as a body cream than a face cream, and maybe not that much better than the thickest Nivea or Eucerin creams (not enough to justify the $70 price difference, anyway). If I get around to trying the Dove stuff, and I remember, I’ll let you know how it compares.

I liked LaMer enough to use it and be sad when it was gone, but not enough to buy more. And just as a note to Lori’s comment: unless it’s been discontinued, some time ago, LaMer created a whole line of products for different types of skin, so there is a version made for oily skin now. Still overpriced.

L’Oreal is not quite the same quality as Lancome for less, but they make some similar products. I’ve just learned that all the cosmetics lines sold in Kohl’s stores are from a Lauder division (so there are knockoffs of MAC, Estee Lauder, Origins, and a few other flagship brands). They’re at least a few dollars cheaper than their sister products, so might be worth checking out for people who have a Kohl’s in their area. LaMer is also a Lauder division.

• 5 Karen // Jan 16, 2007 at 1:55 pm

FYI, I was in a Shoppers Drug Mart here in Vancouver last night and they had the Deep Moisture Night Cream. So you shouldn’t have any trouble finding it when you’re up here.

• 6 Cynthia // Jan 16, 2007 at 3:36 pm

As another follow up from here in Vancouver, the London Drugs website says it still carries the Dove Essential Nutrients Night Cream. So you should also be able to find it at any of their locations. I am another huge fan of Paula Begoun so plan on heading out this week to pick up a jar!

• 7 Megan // Jan 17, 2007 at 9:40 am

I think it is so funny that an American would have a Canada list. We think that all the great products are in the States. Whenever I am there I get Oatcrisp cereal and Basis face soap, it is just like Clinique at a fraction of the cost.

• 8 scerin // Jan 19, 2007 at 9:42 am

Bought the Deep Moisture for $12 CDN at Shoppers (which unless things are on sale never is the cheapest) and tried it out. I don’t like the smell but it does the job. For me it is a little too much even with the climatic dryness and cold wind that is Edmonton in January. I have normal (for oiliness) but very reactionary skin.

• 9 Lana // Jan 22, 2007 at 9:12 am

I picked up the Dove cream at our local grocery store, I like the smell and the goopiness level – though I still like my Clinique “very dry” Superdefence moisturizer. SPF 25 too!

• 10 Lana Stewart » Quest for best moisturizer // Jan 22, 2007 at 11:19 am

[...] Over at Not Martha, she was writing about how much she was looking forward to her visit to Canada to scoop up this Dove “Deep Moisture” cream. Wow. An American coveting a beauty product available in Canada but not the US? It.must.be.good. So, I bought it at the grocery store. It’s pretty good – light scent, goopy but absorbs quickly. Not bad. [...]