dutch ovens

The Kitchen has a little round up of dutch ovens and some links to good information, including this thread on Gardenweb comparing Staub and Le Creuset.

· comments [9] · 01-13-2007 · categories:food ·

• 1 ilse // Jan 13, 2007 at 10:26 pm

thought you might be interested to know that cooks illustrated this month has a comparison/rating of dutch ovens… le crueset and all clad were the top ranked. but the best buy rated was the chefmate, under $50. having used their guides in the past for purchasing knives and other kitchen items, i trust their advice…

• 2 Sarah // Jan 14, 2007 at 8:08 am

Great colors. I love the teapots. So are you going to get a Staub?

• 3 megan // Jan 14, 2007 at 10:21 am

Sarah – I don’t know. I think I prefer the lighter colored interior.

Ilse – I talked about this a little over here. It seems the Chefmate at Target is only going to last through this month, and most people are reporting they cannot find it any longer. There aren’t anymore in my area. However, people have written to this site and said they saw some Chefmate cast iron in the store and it’s terribly chipped, so in the end it might be worth paying for the higher priced pots as they are sturdier.

• 4 Valencia // Jan 14, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for both links. Gardenweb is one of my faves because of the Orchid Forum!

• 5 Sarah // Jan 14, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Don’t forget I got a used Le Creuset for $16 + shipping on eBay. Though mine wasn’t as pretty as others… it still functions!

• 6 Carol // Jan 15, 2007 at 7:42 pm

I am proud to say I am the third generation to own our family’s Lodge dutch oven. I say pshaw to Staub and Le Crueset.

• 7 Terry B // Jan 15, 2007 at 8:27 pm

I’ve cooked with Le Creuset in the past and now own a Staub oval dutch oven. It is SO much easier to clean than the Le Creuset was–everything stuck to it. The Staub cleans up almost like non-stick. It cooks beautifully too.

• 8 Sharlyn // Jan 17, 2007 at 3:18 pm

I’ve only recently jumped on the “no-knead bread” bandwagon and here’s what I think…get either the Le Creuset or Staub if you want a beautiful pot for making stews and stuff then get a seperate (Lodge maybe) cast iron pot just for making the bread. I have all three (Staub, Lodge, and Le Creuset) in enameled cast iron and I used the Lodge for baking my bread in. The bread turned out lovely but my pot which is usually a beautiful apple green came out of the oven looking like a rotten apple instead. I need to say that my pot is now back to its normal color but I’m concerned that it will eventually discolor. I will be baking bread in a plain old black cast iron pot from now on. Oh, just another tip, I was at Fred Meyer over the weekend and saw some reasonably priced enameled cast iron pots for sale.

• 9 Valencia // Jan 17, 2007 at 4:30 pm

JCPenney has LeCreuset on sale. Check online. Thanks to you guys, I am so tempted.