gee, thanks Hearst

Remember back when Budget Living was (sniff) canceled and everybody got wacky replacement subscriptions? I got Good Housekeeping and Chez Shoes got Redbook. I phoned to get my subscription changed to one that I might find slightly less insulting and decided on Shop Etc., which I usually one looked at for the amount of time it took me to walk over and put it into the recycling bin. I was pretty sure my subscription cycle had finally simply run out and then I got this letter:

Oh boy! Shop Etc. has been canceled as well and now I’m getting Redbook! The lesson here is quite clear, Hearst magazine subscriptions might be a bad investment.

· comments [18] · 01-4-2007 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 brady // Jan 4, 2007 at 12:32 pm

When mine was cancelled, I also started receiving Redbook but that magazine just wasn’t for me. So, I called in and they reimbursed all my money instead. If you can’t find a magazine suitable for you, you can always get the refund.

Cheers,
    Brady

• 2 lsaspacey // Jan 4, 2007 at 12:46 pm

I was just about to resubscribe when BL was cancelled so I didn’t get anything. Then I found BHG’s Bargain Style which I fell in love with almost as much. Well, guess what? They just cancelled that and their latest budget decorating magazine, Real+Life Decorating too. They just bought ReadyMade, how long is that going to last now?

What’s going on, do publisher’s believe everyone has Domino and Metropolitan Home money? No! We all just like to dream about what we can’t afford and steal what we can (ideas!). So now we are left to search the internet for homeowners who are generous enough to show us what they are able to do affordably. What do you think about this magazine thing?

• 3 daria // Jan 4, 2007 at 1:11 pm

but, look, it’s going to keep your love + marriage fresh!

• 4 erin // Jan 4, 2007 at 2:00 pm

My BL sub ran out right when the canceled, but I got a complimentary subscription to Redbook anyway. After reading it a few times, I’ve concluded that it’s just Seventeen & YM with a wedding ring. Not my cup of tea.

• 5 Jen // Jan 4, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Wow, I had no idea. Now it makes sense why I started getting Marie Claire!

• 6 Carrie S. // Jan 4, 2007 at 3:48 pm

That’s so funny! I had no idea they gave different magazines out after one is cancelled. I thought we all got the same one! I got MarieClaire for Shop Etc.

• 7 Vespabelle // Jan 4, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Someone wake me up when there’s a good shelter mag. (Is Martha Stewart’s Blueprint still around? I wasn’t so impressed with the first issue.)

• 8 marielle // Jan 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Like Brady said – just call or write them a note that you’d like to cancel, and you’ll get a refund. If I recall correctly, mine was even more than I had paid in the first place – bonus!!

• 9 mw // Jan 4, 2007 at 7:04 pm

When BL died, I started getting House Beautiful. I wrote to them and asked them to change it to Weekend. I got 2 issues of weekend, and then it stopped. Why? Because Weekend went out of business. Now I’m getting House Beautiful again. I don’t even live in a house.

• 10 Carrie // Jan 4, 2007 at 7:14 pm

I never got a replacement for Budget Living (my subscription was up – they sent my renewal check back!). I subscribed to “Just Me” earlier this year – basically a Woman’s day for the younger set (minus the cancer stories). Well, that got cancelled and I get Woman’s Day now. I’ve got all the cancer stories I can handle. :)

• 11 Eviedee // Jan 4, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Whenever I leave town and a friend collects the mail I feel compelled to EXPLAIN myself. Redbook should come in a plain brown wrapper to hide our collective shame. How I miss you Budget Living!

• 12 rebecca b // Jan 5, 2007 at 6:07 am

How annoying. I’ve been getting “Intermezzo” since “Chow” closed and the magazine seems to come out once every six months and sucks to boot. I just got the new one a few days ago and it read like a giant advertisement. :(

• 13 samantha // Jan 5, 2007 at 8:28 am

I’m still mourning BL, and every month when GH arrives- I got stuck with GH and was too lazy to call and complain- I am a bit embarassed- I also think thnings like this should arrive in brown paper wrappers! However, I was just offered an autoimatic renewal of GH, and this time I was energized enough to call and stop it from happening!

• 14 val // Jan 5, 2007 at 10:55 am

At least you were smart enough to ask for a new subscription. I didn’t know that it was an option, so I lived with RedBook for a year before finally cancelling my (free) subscription and they gave me back $5. (I was scheduled to receive BL for at least 2 more years)

• 15 Jamie // Jan 5, 2007 at 11:00 am

Lucky Magazine is better than Shop etc. was. I couldn’t tell what were articles and what were ads. Lucky’s sister mag, Domino, for the home is wonderfull too.

• 16 Jackie // Jan 5, 2007 at 2:43 pm

I got Good Housekeeping. Wow, what an insipid piece of trash. I keep meaning to call and cancel, but then the next (stupid issue, usually with Dr. Phil on the cover) comes in the mail. Is there anything left I can swtich to?

• 17 kce // Jan 5, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Hey, at least you got a replacement subscription. When BL was canceled, I didn’t get squat- or even the offer of replacement squat. :( Bastards.

• 18 Joan // Jan 5, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Redbook…they’re kidding, right? And,have you noticed the red ink on pink everywhere? Along with the insipid content, they suck in the art department too!

I’m sticking with the internet, thank you very much…no recycling issues either!