on the purchasing of a home

I absolutely intended to write a page on everything I learned while buying our house back in April of this year, but moving and painting and settling delayed me and eventually inertia took hold. Let me put it this way, if you’re planning on buying a house in Seattle email me and I’ll happily answer anything you’d like. Otherwise countrywide differences keep me from hoping to help out anybody with what I’ve learned. I mean, our no view, no garage, slightly sketchy neighborhood house is worth a lot more that then three bedroom, two full bath, living room, dining room, den, full basement, two car garage, acre lot, quiet dead end street with park views suburban Cleveland house I grew up. But this is my best advice: get a realtor you love, it makes all the difference during the nervous parts.

· comments [9] · 01-2-2007 · categories:mumbling · seattle ·

• 1 Patia // Jan 2, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Oh, I wish you would write about buying a house. I am hoping to buy my first this summer and feel overwhelmed by how much there is to learn. How does one even find a realtor, anyway, let alone one you love?

• 2 megan // Jan 2, 2007 at 12:22 pm

I could probably be persuaded, your interest makes me want to get my notes down before I forget everything.

• 3 April // Jan 2, 2007 at 4:01 pm

My husband and I have just decided 2007 will be the year we buy a house. No more fixing up the rental that is falling down around us- we should have a money pit of our very own!
    I would love to hear more about your experience.

• 4 prasti // Jan 2, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Hi-I found your site through copacetique.com, and enjoy reading your “crafty” ideas. My husband and I used to live in Seattle for a long time and ended up moving to Lakewood, OH in 2005. Our “higher end” first home in Lakewood wouldn’t have bought us crap in Seattle (maybe a cardboard box), but selling it won’t be as easy either. Would love to hear your ideas on buying a house in Seattle…we may be back there in the near future.

• 5 Patia // Jan 2, 2007 at 11:19 pm

I could probably be persuaded

Oh yes, please please! :-)

I’m in Missoula, but it’s always possible I could end up in Seattle sooner or later.

• 6 Barrie // Jan 3, 2007 at 8:42 am

crap, you’ve just got me hooked on redfin. i’m a sucker for pretty houses. especially since i might have to own up, become an actual adult and buy some kind of place sometime in the nearish future.

• 7 gaile // Jan 3, 2007 at 11:44 am

count me in for another trying to persuade you. We are hoping to buy a house in 08, and spend 07 saving, paying off debt, etc, and we don’t know the first thing about buying a house. At. All. Anything you tell us will be news and appreciated.

• 8 Matt Goyer’s Real Estate Blog » Blog Archive » Bought a house and still addicted // Jan 4, 2007 at 1:00 am

[...] From Not Martha, on the purchasing of a home: Like anybody who learns how to buy a house (and it is a steep learning process, at least for those of us who would rather put our fingers in our ears and sing “la la la” loudly than, say, balance a check book) I kept on reading the MLS for Seattle long after we’d stopped obsessing over what is out there. This is dangerous because of the woulda/shoulda doubts over houses listed after our purchase was legally binding. That said, I’ve been attached to Redfin Seattle blog lately and, happily, it’s making me more and more confident about the house we purchased. [...]

• 9 Joann // Jan 6, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I love Redfin too. I zoom in close on the satellite map to try to see if it’s a sketch neighborhood. We just looked at a house today in Seattle that we may make an offer on–the nerves are running high. You’re right about the agent. Ours is a personal friend and she’s been wonderful in making the whole experience seem perfectly normal to us first-timers.