sadly, seeking a new lip balm

Last month I came across a rumor online (ok, all over Ebay in sellers’ descriptions) that Prada had discontinued it’s colorless lip balm. It’s my absolute favorite of all time and my heart broke a little bit. I did some more digging and I found out that whole boxes of the ridiculously expensive stuff were selling at TJ Maxx for $8, and my heart broke a whole lot because I didn’t know about it at the time. I suspect the TJ Maxx special was because of some online store shutting down and dumping their inventory, but I honestly have no idea what was actually behind it. (Something similar happened the first year I moved to San Francisco – a well-stocked dot com shop closed and shortly thereafter a discount store on Polk Street was filled with supercheap aromatherapy candles, yoga cds and fancy facial cleaners, it was great.) I still cannot tell if it has been discontinued but I hope not, it’s one of the things I’m willing to pay way too much for.

In other lip balm news I’ve been unable to find my favorite drug store lip balm anywhere – Blistex Herbal Answer seems to be gone. Upon this discovery I went into full-on lip balm panic mode and bought a pile of sticks in the hopes of finding a new favorite. You should know that I prefer a waxy balm, I find it oddly comforting, and in this germ-tastic season I’ve been sticking to tubes to cut down on the chance of catching a cold. So far:

Chicken Poop, smells of orange oil and lavender which isn’t always what I want but certainly isn’t unpleasant, has lots of jojoba oil beads in it, I like it

– Chapstick All Natural, smells a little of fake vanilla, it’s just eh

– Chapstick Lip Moisturizer, SPF 15, smells exactly like Chapstick All Natural but has a more waxy, Chapstick-y feel

– Aveeno Essential Moisture, SPF 15, smells a little of fake vanilla and unless you try them on one right after the next you’d swear it was the same as the Chapstick All Natural, but it’s not quite

– Blistex Gentle Sense, Hypo-allergenic, very nearly has no scent at all (which is sort of refreshing), the mixture is a little beaded (jojoba?)

Some older trials:

– Kiss My Face for Old Navy, mint, SPF 15, good stuff, don’t know if they carry it anymore

– Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm, very minty and I generally like it but I don’t seem to buy it, I think it doesn’t stay on long enough for me

– Chapstick Peppermint (aka Candy Cane) is pretty good but not something I went back for

Here are two lip balm related sites I felt the need to include in this post but couldn’t find a way to put in gracefully so here you are: Kiss Fix (formerly Lip Medic, what’s the story there?) has tons and tons of lip balms for sale. And a new discovery: Chaptasitc tests and candidly reviews lip balms. They have a page on the top rated lip balms by Real Simple magazine.

So, now that my two favorites have been yanked cruelly out of my consumer hands I ask you – What is your favorite lip balm?

· comments [163] · 12-29-2006 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 megan // Dec 29, 2006 at 10:57 am

Ones I’m curious about: Bliss Superbalm, Kiehl’s #1, L’Occitane Shea Butter Lip Balm, but of course anything goes.

• 2 erin // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:02 am

I’m a lip balm-aholic, and right now I’m feeding my addiction with the Mint Julep beeswax lip balm by The Savannah Bee Company (bought at Bath & Body Works). It’s just the right amount of greasy, stays on for hours, and has a faint minty scent that isn’t overpowering.

• 3 melissa // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:05 am

burt’s beeswax lip balm, hands down. i’ve tried a million different types, both cheap and expensive, and i always come back to this one. it has peppermint in it though, which may be irritating to some people.

• 4 Kelly // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:07 am

Smith’s Rosebud Salve – created in the 1890′s, still using it’s “updated” tin from the 60′s, this stuff is great and lasts a long time.

• 5 lottie // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:20 am

i went through the same thing with hand cream this year!
    from the u.k. i would recommend boots no 7 deeply moisturising lipcare as the greatest lip product of the last few years. but it is a liquid that sinks in and leaves no residue, so for your preferred waxy texture i would recommend trying softlips?

• 6 Amber // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:26 am

I’m all about MAC lip conditioner. You might be able to find your Prada stuff and swap for it on Makeup Alley:

• 7 Carrie S. // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:27 am

I love Kiehl’s Lip Balm. I have tubes and pots of it stashed all over the house, workshop and car. If I’m really dry, Aquaphor is fabulous overnight.

• 8 Kim // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:28 am

Drugstore.com has Blixtex Herbal Answer for $1.95.
    I myself love the Burt’s Bees.
    Never tried the Prada, but now I want to!

• 9 Lori // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:30 am

My favorite is Labello, which I buy in Canada when there for work. You can order it online and have it shipped. Super cheap and excellent.

• 10 Lindsay // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:33 am

it looks like there are some people selling the prada lip balm on ebay.

• 11 rfg // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:33 am

My all time favorite is not sold in the US, but if you have a connection in the UK, get ahold of Nivea Lip Balm in the blue tube. Outstanding! Also good is Nivea SOS Lip Balm, although it has a more… interesting… taste. And if you can’t get to the UK, good old-fashioned Vaseline or Kiehls #1 are excellent.

• 12 solaana // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:35 am

You could try Labello Hydro. I love it and it lasts a pretty long time, which is key.

• 13 Kristin // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:36 am

The Whole Foods Peppermint balm is fantastic and cheap.

• 14 Kim // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:37 am

If you go straight to the Blistex site, you can find out which stores stock the Herbal answer. Albertson’s does here in CA.

I’m also a big fan of the CO Bigelow Mentha Lip stuff, and the pot lipgloss they make too. It’s at B&BW

• 15 Lisa D. // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:37 am

I really hate when something you love and rely on is discontinued – that’s the worst!

I’m a lip balm-aholic too and very particular, but my favorites are The Body Shop’s products. Their Vitamin E (pale pink tube) is the bomb. I also like their Hemp Lip Protector (green tube, brown cap). I dislike strong scents/flavors, so their others I don’t like, but these two rock.

• 16 anh-minh // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:43 am

I’m also a fan of the Kiehl’s products — specifically the Baby Lip Balm. (Note: It’s not really that waxy, so you may not like it.)

• 17 amanda // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:44 am

kiehls! kiehls! kiehls! lip balm #1 is great.

• 18 Brenda // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:47 am

Um, don’t laugh… Bonne Bell lip smacker, Dr. Pepper flavor. It’s a decent chapstick and has a wee bit of color to it. Good for really pale people like me who are too lazy to put on lipstick all day.

• 19 V // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:53 am

I’m a big fan of Neutrogena’s Lip Moisture- it’s moisturizing but not too heavy and actually has staying power even on my winter-parched lips. All the people I’ve recommended it to end up loving it too, so you might want to check it out!

• 20 Arianne // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:57 am

I have a recent discovery, I found them when searching for something for my son’s eczema (their Bee Balm works wonders for this). Their website is: http://www.clearhillshoney.com/

They have their own bee hives, and there’s bees wax along with bee propolis which has all kinds of healing properties. The lip balm is amazing, and comes in a million different scents. I ordered a jasmine one, a vanilla one and a peppermint one. They have loads of other scents tho, so check them out. Best part, they are only $2.50! The owner is very friendly, emails you herself and she even sent me an order after they stopped taking orders for the holidays (I was desperate for the Bee Balm).

• 21 Jen // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:02 pm

I’m currently using Perfumeria Gal’s balm in Violet, with the pretty pretty tin. The scent is overpowering, but I got used to it, and I like it. I got it very cheaply at a bookstore a year ago, much much cheaper than I’ve seen it online. Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to find it again, although occasionally I come across balms from Perfumeria Gal in a not so pretty design of tin, and in scents that don’t appeal to me. Luckily, it’s a large-ish tin, and I bought two intending to give one away, but then didn’t meet up with my friend before she left town. Now that I’ve fallen in love with it, I’m keeping the second tin :P Even though it’s in a tin, I don’t use my hands, which gets me weird looks.

I used to be into burt’s bees, and before that, the blistex in the white jar, but after some time using each of them, they both stopped working for me.

I also tried Chapstick All Natural, and other than the scent, it was good, but the scent really is a deal breaker. Good to know that Aveeno smells similar, so I can rule that out for myself.

I would like to try Kiehl’s but haven’t yet worked up the nerve to shell out for it in case I don’t like it.

• 22 Jen // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:04 pm

I also tried Herbal Answer, but didn’t like the fennel scent, so I gave it to a friend who likes Sambuca, since both anise and fennel are kinda licorice-ie.

• 23 Erin // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I love the Kiss My Face for Old Navy white chocolate + orange, but I’m afraid you’re right and they don’t carry it anymore. I’m holding onto my last tube even though it’s completely busted and keeps rolling itself into the cap.

I like the Neutrogena lip gloss tubs best, though I’d prefer the ease and cleanliness of a tube. The red is clear and sexy, not sticky, the vanilla repair is the best overnight I’ve ever used, and the strawberry with exfoliant is excellent (even for around your sniffer in extreme head cold nose blowing season.)

For real pre-balm repair I love philosophy’s Kiss Me exfoliating lip scrub and facial. It’s minty and salty and baking powdery, and you rub it on, then wipe or rinse it off. A few uses of that will make the chappedest lips baby smooth again, just be sure to quickly follow up your good work with a good balm to protect your kisser.

Happy hunting!

• 24 Rebecca // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Banana Boat’s Aloe Vera with Vitamin E SPF 30 Sunscreen Lip Balm, but I’m having a harder time finding it now. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s not summer anymore or if they are going to discontinue it. It’s great though!

• 25 suey // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:18 pm

burts bees lemon lime lip gloss. yes, gloss, but its actually not glossy. just deliciously waxy good. don’t tell but sometimes i think about eating it as i’m dipping my finger in the jar.

• 26 laura // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I’m absolutely addicted to Body shop’s hemp lip balm. Keeps my lips moist, and it smells a bit like green tea.

The only thing that I’m kind of “eh” about it is that it comes in a pot type thing, and has a hemp leaf on it…but, oh, does it work…

• 27 Plum Texan // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:28 pm

I’ve tried the L’Occitane shea butter balm – nice and smoothing, but very thin and didn’t last long; also not at all waxy. My interests in lip products are many and varied, so I have tons; I keep going back to Origins Cocoa Therapy, a little pricey but a substantial amount and a great, not-overpowering (real) chocolate scent.

I have never tried Kiehl’s, but I hear raves about it constantly. And I agree that anything Bonne Bell does nicely in a pinch (their chocolate and strawberry Lip Smackers are nice and waxy).

• 28 rocky // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:28 pm

The Body Shop Hemp Chapstick – smells & tastes like bergamot and isn’t waxy at all. Perfect for me. Pretty cheap too…

• 29 susan // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:32 pm

I actually use the regular Kiss my Face line (not Old Navy) which can be found in most natural foods stores. My fave is Mango!

• 30 rocky // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:32 pm

OH! And Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmers – chapstick and color in one. Loves it. You can buy a 4 pack of different colors.

• 31 r // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:34 pm

i just received C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries lip formula spf 15 in my stocking this year. I instantly fell in love with it!

• 32 heather // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:43 pm

my favorite (bliss labs blissbalm) was also discontinued while i wasn’t looking. a sephora lady told me the caudalie lip conditioner is their best seller, so i bought that. it’s ok. it definitely works, but it doesn’t have that satisfying, soothing feeling heavier balms have. i also sort of like philosophy kiss me, but again, it goes on too light. the bliss superbalm and the mac lip conditioner are next on my list to try.

• 33 Melissa // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:49 pm

I am a simple girl, so the Blistex Herbal Answer is my favorite. The Bartell Drugs on 4th Ave. next to the Main Library has Blistex Herbal Answer. I bought some last night. Maybe the Bartell in your neighborhood has some as well?

• 34 Laura VW // Dec 29, 2006 at 12:56 pm

My absolute favourite on all counts is Perfumeria Gal in red currant flavour – the tin is pretty (and big – lots of lip balm in it!), it smells amazing, and it stays on a good while. I also have the violet one mentioned above but find the fragrance less appealing, and I have another one by the same company in raspberry, which is very artificial tasting. I have a tin of the L’Occitane shea butter one – it’s a tinted one (dark brownish) and vanilla scented. Smells great but is set firm in the tin and so is hard to apply (might soften up if the weather warmed up ever!). I’ve also had a good stick lip balm from the Gap – vanilla. It’s in a brown tube but I suspect it’s been phased out as I’ve had it a while. I’m going to look out for the Nivea lip balm in the blue tube as mentioned above by rfg – haven’t tried that one.

• 35 Lisa // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Caswell Massey Natural Therapy Lip Balm with Vitamin E.

I buy 20 tubes at a time, in NYC (they are almost always very nice and give me a discount–last time I bought them out)–that way I end up with a tube almost everywhere you could envision needing lip balm.

Available online in packs of three:

• 36 Aidan // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Just wanted to commiserate. Blistex Herbal Answer is my all-time favorite too, and although the Blistex site says several of my local chains carry it, I haven’t seen it at any of them for awhile.

I also tried the Burt’s Bees in the tube (the stuff in the can sucks) and it’s okay but not great, I find it too minty. The L’Occitane shea butter stuff in the can sucks as well. I have never found any Chapstick worth a darn. The Blistex Pro line is no good. Neutrogena Lip Nutrition is no good. I have lots of negative reviews, if you want them.

I don’t want anything I have to drive to Sephora to pay $15 for. I like a good, greasy, long-lasting, moisturizing tube of balm that I can grab for $2 at the Target during my regular shopping trips.

• 37 Carrie // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Another vote for the Whole Foods peppermint — they also have other favs. My absolute favorite :)

• 38 Rose // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:45 pm

Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer is my favorite…though it’s hard to find in CVS lately. I hope it’s not going away.

I’ve tried others: Kiehl’s, Burts Bees, Rosebud salve. These are great as a change of pace, but I love how the Neutrogena glides on. It’s just a great basic that I hate to be without.

• 39 Kelsey // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:47 pm

my favorite balm is Nanak’s Lip Smoothee, I prefer the coconut, but it comes in other flavors (including unscented which is nice). My indulgent lip balms are the aveda plain lip balm and this super fancy shiseido one. The Shiseido works so well you feel like you have naturally perfect lips w/o any residue whatsoever. It’s kind of amazing, although I sometimes prefer the feeling of having something on.

• 40 Rose // Dec 29, 2006 at 1:50 pm

Oh…I second the recommendation for the Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker! I wonder where mine went off to?

• 41 Laura GF // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:07 pm

I absolutely love Carmex, in the pot and not so much the tube. In the pot it’s much firmer, the tube seems too liquid-y for me. It’s got salicylic acid in it, which makes it fantastic for chapped lips. Here’s the ingredient list rundown, if it helps you: Menthol, Camphor, salicylic acid, phenol, and fragrance in a base of petroleum, lanolin, cocoa butter and a mixture of waxes.

• 42 nazilam // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Khiels #1 and Smith’s Rosebud Salve are my usuals.

I like Carmex (British Airways was putting it in their First Class amenity kits for a while – imagine that!) too.

Did you buy out the Prada?

nm

• 43 eliza // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:27 pm

I’m a fan of the wild oats brand lip balm. I have little tubes in every bag I own.

• 44 Anne // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:39 pm

I’m also a fan of waxy-feeling lip gloss and my mainstay is the old standby LipSmackers in strawberry. It’s got a slight color–basically amplifies the color my lips are already–and you don’t have to look in the mirror to apply it. I’ve never mastered lipstick, but I have a tube of LipSmackers with me at all times.

• 45 christine // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:39 pm

hi megan,
    i had a difficult time when the body shop discontinued their honey-stick lip balm (this was ages ago now.) that stuff stayed on *forever*. the only successful replacement i’ve found for it is Mrs. Curtiss beeswax lip balm from Kalispell, Montana. Very emollient, lasts a long time, doesn’t taste too disgusting.

now if only i could find a replacement for the body shop’s original vanilla perfume oil… (sigh)

• 46 Sarah // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:43 pm

Hi, I sell lip balms on my website (including Perfumeria Gal Violet for Jen who can’t find it…). Of all the lip balms I sell, I most consistently use Rosebud Salve. It is more of a gel consistency but can be used for so much more than lip balm – diaper rash, makeup remover, on hands and elbows. My son never had diaper rash and I believe I owe it to Rosebud Salve.

Happy New Year!

• 47 Jennifer // Dec 29, 2006 at 2:46 pm

Aveda Lip Saver is perfect.

• 48 Katie // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Huh… I’m actually a big fan of the Herbal Answer, myself. To echo what others have said above, though, it can be capricious about where it shows up: it disappeared from all of the local stores here in Wisconsin (and oh, I checked) last year for about 6 months, so when I went to visit some relatives in California I flew back with about 6 extra tubes in my suitcase. It’s since reappeared in my favorite grocery store, so keep the faith! At night, I’m also a big fan of the Aquaphor — it’s beat out Rosebud Salve in my book.

• 49 ed // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:13 pm

blistex ultra protection. harder to find, but way better-smelling, is the blister herbal answer (i agree) and the “spa effects” green. (awesome smelling)

i see at least one other comment mentions the body shop stuff…i bought a really great vanilla lip balm there.

• 50 Melissa // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:14 pm

My favorite has already been mentioned – They Body Shop’s Hemp Lip Care Stick. It also comes in a little pot, but I prefer the stick. They’re $5 each or 2 for $8 (I just stocked up yesterday). It’s substantial but not too heavy and stays on for a good long time. The smell is nice and green, but not overpowering. I would recommend it to you, especially if you like the Blistex Herbal Answer.

My husband reluctantly started using the hemp stick after I suggested that taking better care of his lips might help prevent cold sores. He hasn’t had one in over a year – yay hemp! The only bad thing is now I have to buy twice as much :)

• 51 jessi // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:21 pm

i LOVE badger balm. it is my all time fav, though i also like burt’s bees and smith’s rosebud.

• 52 Kristina // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Here on Canada’s Atlantic coast, where we get a lot of wild and windy weather, I swear by a woman we call The Soap Girl. Her products can be found at:

All her stuff is made with organic olive oil, so here’s a noticeable presence on the lips, but it’s smooth, not waxy. It’s available in both tube and tub, both of which last a looooong time.

She sells lip balm in three flavors: lemon honey, honey beeswax, and chocolate mint. She does have a mail-order service, but I’m happy to send you a sample if you like!

• 53 Nia // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I have tried almost everything, I tend to like thick and slippery vaseline-like balms. My favorites: Kiehl’s, Aquaphor, Rosebud Salve, Neosporin lip whatever and my new favorite which I found in the checkout lane at whole foods, Avalon Organics Vitamin C Soothing Lip balm it comes in a huge tube and smells like oranges.

• 54 cindy // Dec 29, 2006 at 4:13 pm

Bath & Body Works Ripe Red Currant and Raspberry Plum were amazing…too bad they were discontinued this year. I’ve found them on eBay, though. Do you think they would still be ok with old expiration dates? It is just lip balm after all.
    Can’t wait to try the Perfumeria Gal Red Currant or Green Apple.

• 55 ThatMelanieGirl // Dec 29, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Bliss Spa’s Lip Balm is fantabulous! I would never have know about this delightful salve had it not been for a JetBlue Red-Eye from San Jose to Boston… they gave it to me for FREE!

Get thee to Bliss, or JetBlue and Boston, and try it out. Love that stuff.

• 56 marielle // Dec 29, 2006 at 4:44 pm

I’m all about the Carmex. I’m not happy that it’s made with petrochemicals, but it’s the only thing that works, so I stick with it. And it’s just over a dollar a tube – a bargain!

• 57 Amanda // Dec 29, 2006 at 4:57 pm

I love NFB’s Lip Balm which comes in Mint Chocolate Truffle and Tangerine Vanilla..LOVE. It stays on forever, has a nice sheen and is all natural and the tubes are huge. I actually sell it here:

I’m also a fan of Burt’s products but you are right..it doesn’t stay on for very long at all.

• 58 Lilikoiknits // Dec 29, 2006 at 5:06 pm

My absoultute favorite is the La Natura Vanilla Shea Butter. It can be hard to find, but I hunt it down. I’ve ordered it directly from the company, and I think it is also carried by some Amazon.com partners

It is waxy, but still soft. I’ve stopped using all others.

• 59 Alison // Dec 29, 2006 at 5:10 pm

I’m a huge fan of Chapstick Medicated in the light blue tube – its flavorless, but it has that a nice medicated tingle with the waxiness and staying power of real Chapstik. I’ve been using it for over 10 years, so I don’t think they’re gonna discontinue it. Also, when I forget it at home and its a dry day, nothing else will do – I’ll come home and immediately put it on. Its rare that I don’t have it in my pocket.

• 60 Sarah // Dec 29, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Cindy – lip balms can last a while if you don’t open them. Once open, their shelf life can be about 3-6 months–shorter if they are organic. Perfumeria Gal Red Currant is excellent!

• 61 megan // Dec 29, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Melissa – thanks I’ll try a Bartell. We don’t have one in my nieghborhood which might explain why I’ve been unable to find the Herbal Answer stuff.

• 62 megan // Dec 29, 2006 at 5:56 pm

I’ve also found that I like Mad Gab’s, cinnamon is good. (Wow, that stuff has expanded.)

Also, a friend sent me Evian Soin Hydrant Lissant, it’s more of a lip moisturizer but I like it a lot.

• 63 Gwen // Dec 29, 2006 at 6:55 pm

If you’re concerned about SPF (which I always am), I recommend Fresh Sugar SPF 15. It’s a little pricey, but not as much as the Prada. The texture is great and it smells deliciously like lemonade.

One thing I’ve noticed in my quest for SPF lip balm is that some companies, like Bath and Body Works, add Splenda to cover the bad taste of the sunscreen chemicals. Ick.

• 64 Jackie // Dec 29, 2006 at 7:14 pm

I’m a lip medex gal all the way. I really thought there be more of us out there. I have a pot of the stuff in my desk, my purse, my bathroom, on my night stand and well, just about anywhere I think I might need one. I’ve got probably 4 pots on the go at once. It’s not too waxy and has some menthol in it which is soothing when your lips are really chapped or burnt. It also works awesome on a chapped nose when you have a cold and have been blowing your nose constantly.

• 65 Kelly // Dec 29, 2006 at 7:25 pm

The Body Shop Hemp Lip Balm.
    It smells like flowers and it really works.

• 66 Nicole // Dec 29, 2006 at 8:24 pm

I have loved and lost too, a good lip balm is hard to find. Weleda Everon Lip Balm is the best I had in a long time. I am a fan of Weleda’s business and ingredients too.

• 67 Elizabeth K // Dec 29, 2006 at 8:34 pm

My favorite is Blistex medicated in the green tube). In fact, my mom put 3 tubes in my stocking for Christmas. Sweet!

• 68 Mud // Dec 29, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer.

• 69 Rie // Dec 29, 2006 at 9:12 pm

I usually have a big tub of Vaseline on hand, but when on the go, I’m completely dependent on C.O. Bigelow’s Mentha Lip Tints or Lip Shine from Bath & Body Works. $7.50 retail, but it’s now on sale for $5.00. Not sticky (like MAC Lipglass), not waxy, soothing, and yummy!

• 70 MomVee // Dec 29, 2006 at 9:56 pm

My late lamented favorite is Body Shop Rum Raisin lip balm, which was very glossy and came in a pot and was discontinued around 1993. I will never really get over it. My current favorite that is in production is Nature’s Gate Organics, Neroli Orange and Chocolate Mint.

• 71 Liz // Dec 29, 2006 at 10:04 pm

I loooooooove Ecco Bella’s Vanilla Lip Balm. It works good, tastes good, has sunscreen in it and it’s vegan!

• 72 Sternel // Dec 29, 2006 at 10:21 pm

I see someone else above mentioned Labello – wonderful texture; goes on smooth and not as sticky as chapstick, and very long lasting. Comes in a ton of different styles — strawberry, orange, cherry or grape (scented appropriately, and doesn’t smell as fake as some other brands, and gives a nice hint of color); hydro; medicated; SPF; and ‘pearl’, which has a nice sheen to it. Not available in the States but Canadiandrugstore.com has it, or do what I do and befriend someone in our great neighbor to the north and offer to trade Hershey’s milk choc bars for the Labello.

• 73 jeannette // Dec 29, 2006 at 10:41 pm

i have several favorite lip balms, but for the waxy variety, i love a vancouver-based lip balm by skoah, called “lip love”. you can buy it online too: http://www.skoah.com/lip_love_P67.cfm

it’s limey tasting and makes my lips so soft and smooth that it beats any other waxy balm.

• 74 bristahsouljah // Dec 29, 2006 at 10:54 pm

I love June Jacobs Lip Silk (spf 20). It’s a little pricey, but it lasts forever and ever.

• 75 Lilly // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:03 pm

Another vote for the Whole Foods Peppermint… it’s usually next to the register. I love the mint and the price!

Megan, I’ll check the Bellevue Bartell’s (the one next to Bellevue Square) for you in the next few days, in case you get a hankerin’ for some Eastside mall shopping soon.

• 76 Amy // Dec 29, 2006 at 11:26 pm

I’m obsessed with Kiehl’s #1, and if you order online, you’ll get 3 free samples of whatever you want- in the store though, they’ll give you a zillion free samples.

• 77 Ash // Dec 30, 2006 at 12:52 am

I love the Weleda Everon lip balm. It has an unassuming smell and feels quite waxy, but not greasy. Amazon have it.

• 78 Alison // Dec 30, 2006 at 2:19 am

Being a huge fan of the Prada line as well, I can atest to the wonder that is Naturopathica range of goods, and will now not use any other lip balm. Waxy without being clingy, lightly scented without being overpowering, and best of all – organic.

• 79 tyrel // Dec 30, 2006 at 5:03 am

it’s a coin toss between burt’s bees and chicken poop; however, mentholatum works quite well if you’re willing to lug around the container…

• 80 keerthi // Dec 30, 2006 at 5:16 am

Plain Vaseline. I carry a tub of it around with me in my purse in a ziploc bag… I’m obsessed.

• 81 Janet Szabo // Dec 30, 2006 at 5:40 am

Bonne Bell lip smackers (I grew up near the factory in Ohio and we ALWAYS had them–especially the giant ones that they only sell occasionally now) and Wet Your Whistle from Bath and Body Works.

• 82 Amy // Dec 30, 2006 at 6:14 am

I’ve been addicted to Carmex for probably 15 years now – in stick form, the one in the tube is too shiny and doesn’t last very long. The one in the pot is also good, although sometimes harder to find and annoying to carry in your pocket.

• 83 paperdoll // Dec 30, 2006 at 6:55 am

I like Burts Lifeguard’s Choice if you have chapped lips. It goes on white, so it’s an overnight or under color thing. Heals even the worst chapped lips overnight.

• 84 Kim // Dec 30, 2006 at 7:31 am

Hi. I use Bunny Bath’s Lime lip balm. She has a bunch of other fruit flavors. http://www.bunnysbath.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=11

Also a fan of Rosebud Salve too.

• 85 Posy // Dec 30, 2006 at 8:30 am

1. C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Lip Balm (with Shea Butter and Sweet Almond Oil) – they have all kinds of crazy flavors, but I prefer this mild original. Always on my nightstand.
    2. Smith’s Rosebud Salve. Always on my desk at work. It’s a perfect balm and gloss. It words for dry elbows and cuticles too!
    3. Aveda Lip Saver- #1 for super chapped lips. Always in my purse.

• 86 karyn // Dec 30, 2006 at 9:11 am

i buy from this site–they have great balms and very interesting flavors–the consistancy is very smooth

• 87 Marissa // Dec 30, 2006 at 9:24 am

My all time favorite is by Nuxe, it is their Honey Lip Balm. Check out these ingredients : Honey, Shea Butter, Calendula, Rosa Mosqueta, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Beeswax… that is just the beginning.
    It also lasts for HOURS. I used to work an 8 hour shift at Sephora wearing this stuff, it would not wear off.

• 88 Alyson // Dec 30, 2006 at 10:04 am

Mary Kay Satin Lips Balm. Really my all time favorite (and I have tried a bunch since my 9 y/o developed terminal chapped lips). Even my boys use it, despite the pink cap. No petroleum jelly in it. It never dries out your lips. And it is readily available!

• 89 Pepi // Dec 30, 2006 at 10:40 am

I am in love with Badger Ginger and Lemon lip and body balm. Works great on lips.. i have also used it on my hands and face. They wonderful flavors and scents. These lip balms feature Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil, honey-fragranced golden yellow beeswax, super soothing Aloe Vera, and ruby red CO2 extracts of Seabuckthorn Berry and Rose Hip. In fantastic flavors including Tangerine Breeze, Ginger Lemon, Cinnamon Bay, Highland Mint, Lavender & Orange, Chai Rose, Unscented, and SPF 15 lip protection

• 90 monica // Dec 30, 2006 at 11:33 am

burts bees has a new honey lip balm AMAZING! it dosent have the tingly mintyness of the original. in usually more of a gloss dirl and i LOVE this balm! good luck on your search, I know how rough the prospect of finding a new fav can be!

• 91 Patti // Dec 30, 2006 at 12:22 pm

89???!!! You have 89 comments on this!!! Well, now for #90. We are totally hooked on the chocolate/mint balm from Fran’s Chocolates. It has real Scharfen Berger chocolate in it – not sweet, but it smells delicious and works well. (wow, 89 comments about lip balm)

• 92 Lisa (aka KnitDad's kid) // Dec 30, 2006 at 12:56 pm

My current favorites are Alba Passion Fruit Nectar and Un-Petroleum Tangerine (http://albabotanica.com/?title=Lip+Care). Nice texture, similar to ChapStick, and mild but happy-making fragrances. Here in So Cal I get mine at Henry’s.

• 93 Emy // Dec 30, 2006 at 1:24 pm

I was heartbroken when The Body Shop discontinued their Honey Stick, because that was the Best Ever. I am now only slightly mollified by the Burt’s Bees Honey Lip Balm, which is somewhat different than their regular one. No peppermint (which is a good thing – it pisses me off to see it in lip balms, it’s an astringent and I’m pretty sure it’s there to keep you applying the stuff every 10 minutes), good thick texture. Like the Honey Stick (may it rest in peace), it works better if I put it in my pocket for a couple of hours after I buy one – that helps soften everything up and I’m convinced the texture changes for the better. You just have to do it once, it’s okay after that.

People sure are passionate about lip balms, huh? :)

• 94 bene // Dec 30, 2006 at 1:28 pm

I highly reccomend Un-Petroleum lip balm in orange. It works — does the trick everywhere from a over heated over dry hotel in the winter to out on they playa at burningman. This stuff rocks.

• 95 Abby // Dec 30, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Ninety-one comments already! Wow!

Chapstick Medicated is the ONLY kind I buy. Ever.

• 96 Chad // Dec 30, 2006 at 2:56 pm

There is a lip product called SUGAR. It’s made by Fresh and you can find it on drugstore.com or sephora.com or fresh.com. I was hesitant when I bought some because one tube is $23 — which seems ridiculous for lip balm. However, now that I have some, I use it every day and I’m hooked. It’s some of the best stuff ever!

• 97 Jenn // Dec 30, 2006 at 4:49 pm

Philosophy “Kiss Me” — its a gloss and it just melts into your lips, I love it.

• 98 jjzach // Dec 30, 2006 at 5:13 pm

I was always in search of a better lip balm, but have never found anything that beats Blistex Medicated lip balm or the Blistex Lip Medex. I finally stopped searching. Fresh has some nice colored balms and lip shine for an occasional dose of color.

• 99 ThePseudoshrink // Dec 30, 2006 at 5:32 pm

I love MAC tinted lip balm (smells chocolatey) and Rosebud Salve.

• 100 Lavender // Dec 30, 2006 at 6:32 pm

My favourite is the ones I make myself. It’s so easy that it’s criminal to pay big bucks for lip balm.

The basic proportion is a ratio fo 1 parts beeswax, 1 parts carnuba wax, and 5 parts oil. I like jojoba oil because it’s a liquid wax and it keeps longer. Depending on how “hard” you want your lip balm, add or subtract carnuba wax. Add in a few drops of teatree essential oils and you have something perfect for cold sores, etc. Just heat everything over an hot water bath and pour into lip tubes. You can buy these really cheap online. Add in different essential oils and flavours for different lip balms. You can mix in a bit of cocoa powder for a nice chocolatey lip balm. Really nice! If you use unbleached beeswax, your lip balm will have a nice honey scent. That’s my favourite. :)

• 101 Carina // Dec 30, 2006 at 6:33 pm

First, I must say I hate wax-y ones, but it’s probably just my lips- they dry easily and wax-y ones like Chapstick seem to just sit there.

True Blue Spa Wet Your Whistle by Bath and Body Works – This one is great, but I don’t think they sell it anymore. It tastes disgusting though (sort of like lettuce), probably because of all the shea butter they put in. It’s worth it though, one sweep and your lips are moisturized completely, and it lasts for hours.

Blistex- not sure which type it is, but the green one. Very nice and liquid-y, just the way I like it.

Cherry Ice Medicated- or something of that sort. I ripped off the label because it was so ugly. Very nice scent and taste, moisturizes quickly, very solid and smooth.

Burt’s Bees – It’s amazing, but it doesn’t last very long.

• 102 Jennifer // Dec 30, 2006 at 6:45 pm

I love Bliss SuperBalm. It lasts mega hours with one application and has a great smell and taste. For a cheaper alternative, I like Burts Bees.

I buy both from Drugstore.com

• 103 crappe! // Dec 30, 2006 at 8:45 pm

I really like the Gap stick lip balms. The Citrus Frost flavor is really nice. Stay away from the Chocolate Cherry flavor.

• 104 Ingrid in Vancouver // Dec 30, 2006 at 9:14 pm

In return for all the tips and inspiration you’ve given me over the past while, I’ll chime in on Labello and Weleda. I’d happily do a Labello swap with you for some classic American chocolate bars…

• 105 Melissa // Dec 30, 2006 at 9:33 pm

I’m partial to Blistex Silk & Shine, which might not be waxy or long-lasting enough for you, but goes on like a dream. I also use the lip butters from Body Shop, but they’re messy to put on, and are more oily than waxy — although very, very smooth. The new Mint Julep lip balm from Bath & Body Works is cheap and fun, and seems to stay on pretty well.

• 106 David M // Dec 30, 2006 at 10:48 pm

Kiehl’s is my favorite…

• 107 David M // Dec 30, 2006 at 10:49 pm

I should have continued…

Kiehl’s is my favorite. I use Blistex to save $, but I gave my wife this gift set from Kiehl’s for Christmas. She doesn’t like the lip balm…so I’m hoping to get the lip balm from the package!

Evil…I know.

• 108 R // Dec 30, 2006 at 10:58 pm

Mode de Vie shea butter lip balm. Changed my life–no joke.

• 109 Carol // Dec 31, 2006 at 12:50 am

I scanned the list and was surprised I didn’t see my fave: Chapstick Vanilla Mint. Vanilla, minty, not waxy, but has staying power. Has overnight healing power, SPF 15 protection, aloe and vitamin E. Drugstore cheap.

• 110 fbz // Dec 31, 2006 at 7:22 am

drugstore: softlips in cherry or strawberry
    mail order: mad gab’s in peppermint or lavendar

• 111 Susan // Dec 31, 2006 at 9:04 am

ZIP ME AN EMAIL AND I MIGHT COULD ARRANGE FOR YOU TO HAVE A SAMPLE LIP BUTTER…

• 112 Laura // Dec 31, 2006 at 9:09 am

I can’t live without Labello. I find all others too addictive and if you use them once, you have to use them every couple hours or your lips end up in worse condition! I used to get it everytime I was home to Canada, I had about 7 lying around my flat and in several of my bags, but recently realised the Nivea in the UK is exactly the same, same packaging (except label), same manufacturer and distributer. I was a very happy girl that day.

• 113 chris // Dec 31, 2006 at 9:29 am

I love the Trader Joe’s spearamint balm. The Wild Oats peppermint is nice too.

• 114 Melissa // Dec 31, 2006 at 9:42 am

I just saw some Blistex Herbal Answer at a QFC last night. By the way, someone earlier mentioned that they didn’t like it because the fennel scent was too much like anise. I’m pretty sensitive to Anise/licorice. It(the smell and/or taste) makes me gag, so I’m not sure what she was talking about. Am I alone on not smelling this? Maybe fennel is just mild enough?

• 115 Erica // Dec 31, 2006 at 11:17 am

I am Carmex fanatic. I perfer it in the pot as well.

• 116 Pepi // Dec 31, 2006 at 1:15 pm

I did find Chickenpoop at my local Walgreens here, I am impressed and I really like the lavender and orange flavor. It now holds court next to my Baggers lip blam. Thanks for the information I would have never found this on my own!!!!!!

• 117 megan // Dec 31, 2006 at 1:20 pm

I’m happy to report I found some Herbal Answer at a Bartell Drugs, thanks so much for the tip to check there.

• 118 Adrienne // Dec 31, 2006 at 3:28 pm

I’m all over CO Bigelow’s lip gloss…they have tinted, and it has a great minty taste! For Xmas one of my best friends sent me the cinnamon lip gloss, another favorite! It’s a bit gooey, but not too gooey! AND they’re all on sale at Bath & Body Works right now!

• 119 Sam // Dec 31, 2006 at 7:16 pm

I like the real Kiss My Face line too. Mmm, cranberry-orange.

• 120 Maggi // Jan 1, 2007 at 3:04 am

Some thoughts on lip balm:

1) I do not like the gooey, vaseline-y balms, and as such, the Kiehls #1 has been very disappointing. No flavor, no tint, nothing to entice me to buy other than the coveted Kiehls brand. I won’t buy it again, though it occasionally comes in handy to have a tube stashed in my desk at work, where the air is incredibly dry–better than nothing, I guess.

2) Burt’s Bees Beeswax lip balm is what you’ll most often find in my purse, though it rarely gives longterm relief. I like the minty burn and waxy consistency of the tube–no more pots for me. And let’s face it: almost every grocery store in Seattle sells it, so it’s easy to come by. I have it in the bathroom at home, on my nightstand, tubes live in winter jacket pockets and my knitting bag…

3) …but what I really love are the Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmers. I need a little color now and then, but hate wearing most lipsticks. I’ve got several colors of the shimmers and feel good about most of them. Too much shimmer and you’re Sheila Easton, but the darker/neutral colors are just fine.

Speaking of lipsticks–what do you know about matte lipsticks? I’ve been using this NARS lip pencil: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P78834&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3976 and while the Cruella color is the most perfect blue-red that I can find, it fades to pink within hours. Any suggestions on a better option? I’ve worn out the girls at Sephora and Nordstrom.

• 121 quinn // Jan 1, 2007 at 3:59 am

wow. we have the same fave lipbalms! prada, herbal answer, & old navy’s kiss my face lip balms! i really hopte the prada ones haven’t been d/c’d! my fave ON KMF lippies were strawberry & mint flavours. i’ve recently seen herbal answer at drug stores such as CVS.

• 122 Kristi // Jan 1, 2007 at 4:38 am

I love Carmex. In the pot, not the tube. I’ve never used the stick. I’ve been using it for about fifteen years as well, and much prefer the old porcelain pot to the new-fangled plastic one!

• 123 D // Jan 1, 2007 at 6:54 am

smith’s rosebud salve is what i love to use. a nice big container for $6 will last quite some time. they have original, mint and strawberry.

i usually buy it from sephora, but i’ve seen it over the past year in some drug stores. the cheapest its been is $5.50.

• 124 Emma // Jan 1, 2007 at 8:26 am

Balm Balm’s rose geranium – all natural products, organic, smells heavenly

• 125 megan // Jan 1, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Maggi – the last time I used a matte lipstick it dried my lips out terribly. But, as I don’t have much need for lipstick, that was a few years ago. Anybody? Matte lipstick recommendations?

I used Carmex in a jar in high school until one day when we went to a movie, and as the opening credits ran I pulled out my jar of Carmex, it slipped out of my hand and rolled down the inclined theater floor. My lips were so dry during that film I decided the Carmex was doing more harm than good.

Speaking of lip balm container shapes – I love the Prada lip balm because it’s small and flat enough to slip into the little pocket of jeans, and also because it won’t roll away from you. But I think the small and flat Prada design was really smart, you can stash the stuff in a wallet if needed.

• 126 Kell // Jan 1, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I’ve recently become a bit obsessed with the Biotherm lip balm. It smells like peaches, stays on a good long while, and has a really nice glossy sheen. Kiehl’s #1 is my runner-up.

I saw a selection of those Prada glosses boxed up for a gift in a department store a couple of days ago, and my heart swelled – too bad I’ve already overdone the shopping.

• 127 Krystin // Jan 1, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Hey.. my fav lip balm is from the beauti line I sell called BeautiControl.. if you havent heard of it, you should look into it, awesome stuff.. Its basically a Mary Kay type buisness where I come into your home and do a Spa show…
    Anywho, the lip balm I love is the Margarita lip balm by BeautiControl. It actually smells and tastes like margarita.. there is also a foot creme, foot scrub and body lotion with the same scent! AWESOME!!

Check it out at BeautiControl.com

• 128 diana // Jan 1, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Just had to comment because my 2 favs weren’t on the list yet.

1) Heal My Lips. I think you can only get it online at http://www.healmyhands.com, it looks like they don’t have peppermint any more, but the vanilla isn’t too bad. Comes in a stick.

2) Kiss Therapy from mark (Avon) smells like roses, works like a dream. Comes in a little tin.

Just in case you didn’t have enough suggestions!

• 129 Heidi M // Jan 2, 2007 at 6:43 am

Hemp Lip Protector from The Body Shop…absolutely the best!

• 130 Katie // Jan 2, 2007 at 8:09 am

Laura Mercier Lip Silk – pricey, but the best thing for me for surviving New England winters.

• 131 Dorothy // Jan 2, 2007 at 10:12 am

Okay, I am #130 but I have not seen any mention of my latest fave: “Soul Kiss”
    lip balm by Biggs & Featherbelle here in
    MD: http://www.biggsandfeather.com I lamented
    about Body Shop’s loss of the honey balm
    and am ok with the non-mint version of
    Burt’s Bees honey balm. “Soul Kiss” is
    waxy and has almond butter and bergamot
    in it.There is another lip balm with
    mint called “Eskimo Kiss” too. Check it
    out!

• 132 Cinnamon // Jan 2, 2007 at 10:14 am

Mary Kay Satin Lips Lip Balm

Never (ever, ever, ever!!!) thought I would become a Mary Kay girl, but I really like their products and they’re not tested on animals and the lip balm doesn’t smell or taste like anything else. And if I put it on a half hour before I put on lipstick, I’m pretty sure it makes the lipstick stay on longer.

• 133 Jonobie // Jan 2, 2007 at 10:50 am

I love Melem (see here: http://www.melemusa.com/what_is_melem.html) I got it as a free sample in a race and have been hording it since. It’s very smooth but not greasy and seems to last longer than any other variety I’ve used.

• 134 Jen // Jan 2, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I don’t like lip balm that’s too oily. My favorite is Softlips Cherry. I was at the store and couldn’t find it once, so I opted for a 3pk of Blistex Spa effects which is also nice. I like the Cucumber & Melon one, but they also come with Grapefruit, Rosemary & Eucalyptus and Vanilla & Plum

• 135 pam // Jan 2, 2007 at 1:28 pm

wow, lots of comments!

i like smith’s rosebud salve a lot. i also love this vanilla lip balm that i got as a gift. it’s from bath & body works. man, i love that stuff.

• 136 Kathleen // Jan 2, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Not that you need any more advice, and not that it falls under “balm”, BUT I am a fan of moist lips and was utterly suprised to find that LIPFUSION — the stuff they claim swells your lips (it doesn’t) is THE most long lasting and loisturizing lip anything I have ever used. The trick is don’t use a lot, and it won’t be sticky or gloopy, but will stay on and keep lips moist for hours. You can put lipstick over it(again, just don’t put on a lot). Its ‘spensive Lucy, but G*D Damn it is GREAT — especialy in winter.

• 137 Amy Lu // Jan 2, 2007 at 2:42 pm

I’m so glad you brought this up! I’m looking for a new lip balm.

I’m usually a Burt’s Bees girl. I bought their new honey lip balm for my kids. It’s the same as the regular tube balm, minus the sting. I like the sting. Anyway, I thought it’d be neat to have some upstairs, downstairs, in my purse, my knitting bag, and the cars’ glove boxes…. Not a good idea. Something in them went rancid before they were used up and I ended up throwing away 6 tubes of lip balm.

I was dissapointed. And after slathering on rancid lip balm, I’m not too eager to use BB again.

Thanks for some new ideas!

• 138 suzi finer // Jan 2, 2007 at 8:11 pm

I swear by Chanel Lip Correction; it is odorless, lotion-esque and totally moistrurizing without any wax issues. You like Prada? You’ll love Chanel.

• 139 Rebecca // Jan 3, 2007 at 12:28 pm

I don’t think anyone’s pimped for my favorite – EVERON Lip Balm from Weleda. It’s a waxy form in a tube, never hard to apply. I buy three at a time, one for bedside, one for the purse and one to replace the one I’ll lose. Smells gently floral. I can usually find it a Whole Foods or health food stores on the East Coast but it’s orderable from their website too.

• 140 Kim // Jan 3, 2007 at 1:12 pm

I absolutely love the C.O. Bigelow mint-flavored lip balm from Bath and Body works. It’s tasty, non-sticky, and very good for smooching! (Which is the whole point of lip balm, in my book!) You can also get it in tints. Very nice!

• 141 Jennifer // Jan 3, 2007 at 2:11 pm

I love your website! There, I said it. Now on to more important matters:

I’m obsessed with lip balm and have tried literally everything and anything I can get my hands on. My two favorites that I continually repurchase: Kiss Me from Philosophy and Rosebud Salve (and now the even better Sephora exclusive Mint Rosebud salve!)
    They’re both slick but last and last. The Kiss Me definitely has a wax-like texture, and it now comes in a handy dandy tube applicator. I highly recommend this one! Its the only lip balm I must have on me at all times.

• 142 jen // Jan 4, 2007 at 7:03 am

If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, I swear by their store brand Virtuoso lip balm. It’s SPF 15, it comes in a mild spearmint flavor, it’s 50% organic, and it contains (I believe) no petroleum. It’s also dirt cheap, compared to some.

• 143 Jess // Jan 4, 2007 at 7:22 am

Never posted here before, but I get downright evangelical about my favorite lip balm… Palmer’s cocoa butter swivel stick. I have them stashed absolutely everywhere (as does my husband, who I also converted). It’s a nice, smooth texture — not too waxy, not gloppy — and keeps my terribly dry lips soft. It smells lovely too… sweet and slightly cocoa-y, without being chocolately. Thanks to the monster-sized stick, it’s also great in a pinch for touching up dry hands, etc. I also have lots of allergies and sensitive skin (most lipsticks make me itch and swell), and I’ve never had any problem with it. I will cry if they ever stop making it.

• 144 Cupcake // Jan 4, 2007 at 8:53 am

Kiehl’s in the tube is my favorite. Also, the dessert essence jojoba isn’t at all bad.

l’occitane is the worst–tastes horrible!Blech!

• 145 grandma // Jan 4, 2007 at 10:18 am

neiman’s sells the prada lip balm

• 146 kns // Jan 4, 2007 at 10:41 am

My new fav is Neutrogena MoistureShine tinted lip balm. It has a great texture (although not waxy), stays on a long time and has just enough color. And the color doesn’t cake up after a while like some other tinted balms. Also, the colors are super sheer so it’s really the best of both worlds.

Happy New Year!

• 147 megan // Jan 4, 2007 at 10:54 am

grandma – Thank you, as far as I can tell Neiman-Marcus is one of the few places to buy the Prada lip balm. It’s been back ordered on their website for a while now, and when I called to ask they said they were unsure if the product had been discontinued. She was able to locate some in stores, and had a small shipment on it’s way to stock for online purchases.

• 148 Jamie // Jan 4, 2007 at 11:09 am

I love Labello. You can only find in Canada, Mexico & Europe but buy online at: http://www.feelbest.com/pages/labello.aspx
    Rose is my favorite.

• 149 tally // Jan 4, 2007 at 1:43 pm

there is only one option: zartrose bebe. the good news: it’s not expensive. the bad news: it’s only available in germany (in drugstores there). but i’m afraid i must insist. i forgive everyone who hasn’t recommended it, because they obviously have never tried it and don’t know better. it’s in the same price point as labello, but there is no comparison. do yourself the favor and implore friends who travel to germany to buy out the drugstore, as i have. several times.

• 150 Someone who cares. // Jan 4, 2007 at 2:29 pm

My favorite, I think its called CG Bigelow Mentha lip balm. It is available at Bath and Body Works, it comes in a green tube, and is infused with peppermint oil, which keeps my breath fresh and my stingy chapped lips cool.

• 151 susy // Jan 5, 2007 at 11:48 am

Amilab..simply the best. It has a hint of orange scent..love it!

• 152 Leanne // Jan 7, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Lush Chocolate! Yummy. (I also love Burts Bees and Rosebud Balm)

I’ve tried a few of the other lush lip balms, but they are mushy – but the chocolate one is just perfect.

• 153 Dana // Jan 8, 2007 at 10:57 am

Heal My Lips which is made by my friend Claudia and her partner Anthony. I’t full of all sorts of goodies, is waxy, but goes on smoothly and it really works. I met Claudia at a sheep and wool festival (she is also a fiber artist) and got her Heal My Hands which she developed for her own dry skin.
    Great people-great product
    healmyhands.com

• 154 Vincci // Jan 9, 2007 at 8:28 pm

I just lost my tube of Lobello Med and should’ve checked this site before going out to buy another tube! There was definitely a Blistex Herbal Answer sitting right next to it, but I wasn’t sure if you’d said good or bad things about it :S

• 155 MF // Jan 16, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Vaseline

• 156 amy // Jan 16, 2007 at 11:14 pm

here’s my two delayed cents: my mom randomly handed this to me when i was at home for holidays. i happen to like it, it’s replaced my Carmex & mint Blistex. Tate’s Natural Miracle Lip Balm. it goes on oh-so-smoothly, has bit of a tingle & is apparently multipurpose. i also love that the last few ingredients include smiles & peace. i found out they’re from my home state but not sure if they sell it in stores. http://www.ourtatefamily.com

• 157 anya // Jan 24, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Ive been using elizabeth arden eight hour cream as a lip balm for years and its the best thing i have ever been able to find . It heals like nothing else and is the best thing to soothe winter chapped lips from too much wind and rain . I prefer the cream but it comes in a stick form too ( both tinted and untinted ) . When i want something a bit more waxy i reach for palmers cocoa butter swivel stick . The buulky stick is also great for soothing cuticles and dry patches on skin after foundation appliacation . A tube lasts for ever and tastes of chocolate.

• 158 Jennifer // Feb 4, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I personally LOVE Dr. Hauschka’s Lip Care Stick. I am a “chapstickaholic” like many of you here and tried MANY kinds. This is one of the semi-expensive ones.. about $13 (US) This heals my lips.. not just cover up the irritated surface. Light but not too much so. It’s a smoothe waxy feel. I hope you can give it a try–maybe you’d be hooked on it like me :P

• 159 Don // Apr 11, 2007 at 9:26 am

This will sound sort of weird, but I’ve been wondering whether anyone else has a problem with a sort of puckery mouth that they suspect was brought on by use of lip balm. In my case, it was 2000 and I used an enormous amount of Nivea Lip Balm on a trip to the Utah desert with my sons.
    When I later ran out of Nivea, I discovered that it was no longer available. My wife found the apparently equivalent Labello on a trip to Europe and I later also got some in Mexico.
    But the weirdness in my mouth, that began with that desert trip did not go away. It is up to 7 years now. So I eventually began to wonder why Nivea Lip Balm disappeared, and why Labello is not available in the US.
    I began today to see what I could find via Google, but ran up against a dead end.
    As this site’s discussion makes it clear that there are real lip balm experts out there, I’m hoping someone will know something.
    Oh yes. My ENT doctor told me yesterday he didn’t think lip balm had anything to do with it.
    I forgot to describe the problem. It isn’t easy. As I said, it is sort of puckery. It is aggravated by walnuts, maybe vinegar, Australian Shiraz wines, things I think of as tannin like. It is not exactly dry mouth, in that my saliva seems fine, but I do find it hard to get the last bits of food out from between by teeth and lips without a glass of water, and my lips themselves often end up feeling weird, maybe dry. Like they demand lip balm, which I’m now very reluctant to supply.

• 160 Angi // Mar 21, 2009 at 5:48 am

Very belated, but…
    I used to use Nivea’s advanced lip repair… available only in the U.K. so I’d import it by the case. However I started migrating away from artificial and petroleum-based products and had to start looking from scratch. So I tested 20-30 different lip balms from “natural” stores (like Whole Foods or Wild Oats, and similar things online), and the hands-down winner is one mentioned above–Tate’s Natural Miracle Lip Balm. Absolutely fantastic. It doesn’t melt at room temperature (some do) or freeze when I leave it in the car (most do), makes my lips feel great, and best of all they KEEP feeling great even after I stop using the product (no hidden alum to make your lips dry up the second you stop applying!). I recommend it wholeheartedly.

• 161 Gin // Jan 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I had to replace my Herbal Answer with Carmex twist top a loooong time ago. I tried everything and Carmex was the most soothing and sticky.
    BUT….I shopped at a military BX yesterday and they were fully stocked with Herbal Answer!!!!

• 162 Shauna // Jun 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Bath and Body Works Ripe Red Currant, they brought it back and my friend, knowing her lip balm crazy friend [me],bought me it. I’m crazy about it(:
    Another favorite of mine is the original ChapStick in cherry. Too bad i lost my last tube, guess I’ll have to pick up another eventually as back up

• 163 Joyce // Nov 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

AVALON ORGANICS Soothing Vanilla Rosemary! Goes on super smooth and waxy.