sunscreen

Shortly after I heard about Anthelios sunscreen Michelle wrote to tell me that it has finally been approved by the FDA, at least in SPF 15, and we can buy it in the US now. Here is a list of where to find it in stores and it looks like CVS carries it. Darn, we don’t have CVS in Washington.

I bought some SPF 45 and 60 while we were in Vancouver and I like it because it doesn’t make me break out, but in the higher SPF it does leave me awfully shiny, too much for daily use. Right now I use it when we’re going to be hiking. Hopefully the SPF 15 will be a little softer. Anyhow, Anthelios is worth giving a try if you’re looking for a good sunscreen and daily moisturizer for your face.

· comments [11] · 12-28-2006 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 sara // Dec 28, 2006 at 4:46 pm

You can buy it at Skinstore.com at http://www.skinstore.com/store/category.asp?CatID=5144!

• 2 Kari // Dec 28, 2006 at 6:56 pm

We have a CVS on every corner here – I can easily mail some to you.

• 3 megan // Dec 28, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Kari – Thanks for the offer! But we’re headed to Canada soon so I can grab some while I’m up there. (Besides, it’s sorta pricey for a drugstore purchase.)

• 4 samin // Dec 28, 2006 at 8:53 pm

you know, it’s so funny that you wrote about this because i was down in l.a. last weekend and saw the anthelios sunscreen at cvs (along with a bunch of other fabulous la roche posay stuff i love, like the lipikar lotion) and thought it was strange since it’s illegal here. i’m still working through all of the stuff i made my friend bring back from france this summer.

• 5 Martha // Dec 29, 2006 at 3:27 am

Be careful — this sunscreen gave my five year old a terrible rash. We have had the best luck with Mustela — although it stains clothing if you are not careful.

• 6 rachel // Dec 29, 2006 at 9:27 am

I can’t use chemical sunscreens, have too many skin reactions, and want to avoid them anyhow, so I am always on the lookout for good chemical free ones and think I have found my holy grail for a daily one. Their Creme du Jour 25+
    It’s really hard to find a natural one that doesn’t leave me pasty white or that doesn’t have all the silicone derivatives like dimethicone, because those make me break out too. It’s a little local line made here in berkeley and the woman who makes all the stuff gives such personal service. Sorry for all the info, just love to share when I find things that are hard…

• 7 Stasia // Jan 2, 2007 at 5:17 am

For a daily facial moisturizer/sunscreen, I honestly like L’Oreal’s Active Daily Moisture Lotion, which is SPF 15. I think it’s cheaper than Anthelios, and even with my extremely dry & sensitive skin (most lotions make me break out, and I easily get rashes), I find it suitable for daily use. The only time it wasn’t great was in the deep Caribbean, when I think a slight sunburn (obtained while using a different product and out on a boat) caused it to sting my face.

• 8 sandi @ the whistlestop cafe // Jan 4, 2007 at 7:25 am

No Freakin Way! How did I not know this was at CVS. A redhead in the south with a convertible… I use it every day. I stocked up on my last trip to Italy and I am almost out.
    ~but I’ll still go back to Italy~:{)

• 9 Juls // Jan 9, 2007 at 9:32 pm

You know, that Mexoryl ingredient was the reason I was having Canadians custom by Vichy (owned by L’oreal) sunscreen for me. It was pricey by drugstore standards ($20/tube) but had that great sunscreen ingredient that we didn’t have in the US yet.

• 10 eugenia // Jan 15, 2007 at 10:52 pm

FYI for your readers in case they didn’t know- the FDA approved Mexoryl this past summer, hoooray! i bought a tube of the Anthelios sunscreen spf 45 (the non-greasy, water resistant, no fragrance kind) and a tube of the SPF 60 (not non-greasy, nor water resistant & lightly scented- the scent reminds me of olay moisturizer) when i went to canada last august. you should definitely pick up the non-greasy, water resistant kind.

• 11 Jen // Feb 26, 2007 at 11:53 am

Thanks for the great comments on Anthelios. You can purchase Anthelios SX SPF 15, which is the perfect lightweight daily moisturizer on Anthelios.com and at CVS nationwide.