a message from the public library

We’re still cable and internet-less but we’re feeling luckier by the day to have power. The houses around us are still without electricity and it’s been darn cold at night. We’ve been mocking our own “but we’re going to miss Battlestar Galactica” fretting from last week. Sundry’s post, with pictures, is pretty much what we woke up to on Friday. I was lucky enough to find hot coffee at Fry’s (don’t ask) and gas in Renton that day without waiting in horrendously long lines.

· comments [13] · 12-18-2006 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 Debra // Dec 18, 2006 at 4:10 pm

OOO… Last Friday’s Battlestar Galactica was a pretty good one. Well… it was all set-up for when the series picks up again at the end of January. All questions.. no answers.

I lived through a couple similar circumstances to what you currently have. It’s amazing how you reduce your life to the utter simplest things at these times.

Hope you all get your “normal” lives back real soon… and you get to catch that BG eppie.

• 2 cindy // Dec 18, 2006 at 7:34 pm

we lose our power enough up here on our hill, that i have the coffee thing figured out…i can do without a lot of things, but not my morning coffee! i know, that’s so sad. :] but i do think that electricity is quite miraculous today!

• 3 Patty // Dec 19, 2006 at 12:25 am

I’m glad you all up there are okay – My family up there are now all back with power – a niece works for PSE and has been ordering supplies to fix all the owies around town. We don’t get that cold in Tucson, but chilly enough in Dec. On another note – I’ve been wondering and worrying about the Advent Calendar – It’s not been being updated. I just clicked again – and to my shock and sadness, found out Leslie Harpold has died! I’m so sad for everyone who loved her and her great contributions.

• 4 Amy // Dec 19, 2006 at 11:39 am

Hurrah for FREE internet access at the library!

• 5 joy // Dec 19, 2006 at 11:59 am

we JUST got ours on about 2 hours ago. I live up on the hill in Renton (its called fairwood area) and everything had power around us, even like a block away, but our entire neighborhood was dark. I feel SO SO blessed to finally have it back on!

• 6 girlrobot // Dec 19, 2006 at 12:00 pm

wow that sucks, i’d go crazy without internet for more than a day. hehe

• 7 Barrie // Dec 19, 2006 at 12:20 pm

after seeing a line at a gas station that looked like an hour long, i’m so thankful i gave up my car.

• 8 cheriwan // Dec 19, 2006 at 1:04 pm

I know what you mean about the Battlestar- but maybe when your internet is back up you can download the episode. It’s really a must see season finale. They’re also replaying it a lot right now (that’s how I caught it last night). Keep your chins up- we have internet and phones now at work down in the south end! I hope it will all be resolved before Friday. I just keep thinking about all those folks who still don’t have heat. What a crazy mess. Good luck!

• 9 Patti // Dec 19, 2006 at 3:01 pm

I laughed when that episode ended because they didn’t explain ONE SINGLE THING. It was lovely. :)

• 10 carolb // Dec 19, 2006 at 3:38 pm

I live in Vancouver, Canada and we had the same thing. Somehow our area didn’t lose power at all, but we were out of cable for all of 4 hours. We lucked out, but there were huge trees down all around the city – trees that fell right across both lanes of traffic and they are still cleaning them up. I heard the wind and saw the lightning that night. I have never been in such a storm ever.

• 11 blair // Dec 19, 2006 at 7:08 pm

Hi Megan, glad you are ok. We just got our power back on this morning at about 6:00. In a very weird way I was starting to get used to it all. In a very very weird way. Seattle weather has been a treat this season, huh? Be well.

• 12 Jennifer // Dec 20, 2006 at 9:11 am

I feel bad for you all up there!! I live in Florida, so if I had to deal with no power at a time like this, it’d be okay because the weather’s so nice right now. It must be a nightmare being without power when it’s so cold out….

I know what you mean though about free internet access at the library. It’s great isn’t it? And it’s one more excuse to get yourself to a place that will let you borrow free books!

• 13 michelle // Dec 20, 2006 at 10:28 am

We just got our power back last night. And we were the only street in our neighborhood without power. But we survived. Rare am I so excited to go to work.