special days

I love advent calendars, and Leslie’s Advent Calendar is the best of all. This year each day we get a strange Christmas memory, a link, and a little bit of zazz. So far we’ve been gifted a paint your own Xmas scene, a dress up Santa and a recipe for sugarplums.

· comments [13] · 12-7-2006 · categories:christmas ·

• 1 wendy // Dec 7, 2006 at 1:26 pm

It occurs to me that you could make a neat advent calendar out of those paper maiche’d balloon thingies. Red, white and green tissue paper and a similar “fortune cookie” style thought of the day would be so cute!

Obviously not reusable.

• 2 Advent at dailymusings.net // Dec 7, 2006 at 1:29 pm

[...] Does anyone out there make their own advent calendars?  I think it would make a neat gift, albeit one that would have to be given early!  Megan over at notmartha.org has a cute one she found, with photos and details on flickr.  Check it out! [...]

• 3 megan // Dec 7, 2006 at 1:33 pm

wendy – good idea!

• 4 Emy // Dec 8, 2006 at 12:35 am

My boyfriend and I were at the mall tonight and stopped in the LEGO store, and we were delighted to find what we’d gotten 2 years ago – the LEGO Advent calendar. Each day has a little figure to build! In the last one, you’d get one to build each day, but then sometimes they’d put several days together to make a bigger something.

• 5 Renee // Dec 8, 2006 at 6:05 am

Not to be a scrooge, but the only thing I don’t like about Leslie’s Advent calendar is that it’s not really an Advent calendar. Advent started on December 3, not Dec. 1. Maybe next year she can call it a Christmas countdown calendar instead.

But it is soooo cute!

• 6 SusieJ // Dec 10, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Also of interest: http://www.sellmer-verlag.de/history.htm

• 7 LisaLou // Dec 11, 2006 at 12:53 pm

Do you know what happened to Leslie’s calendar? It seems to be stuck on Dec. 7th. I hope she’s ok.

• 8 Jen // Dec 11, 2006 at 8:16 pm

I’m glad someone else asked this question – I was just about to. I’ve been a fan of Leslie’s calendars for years now, and I’ve been worried something’s wrong. Any news about what’s going on would be very appreciated!

• 9 megan // Dec 12, 2006 at 8:43 am

I’m incredibly sad to have to report Leslie passed away last weekend. Hers was one of the first personal sites I read, back in 1998, and she was a very cool person. Words escape me, but know that I’ll miss her terribly.

• 10 LisaLou // Dec 12, 2006 at 9:06 am

omg I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve been reading her Advent calendars for 3 years now. That’s so sad.

• 11 Jen // Dec 12, 2006 at 9:11 am

Oh no! That is heart-breaking. How terribly sad, especially for her poor family to lose her at this time of year. I’m just stunned.

• 12 SusieJ // Dec 12, 2006 at 10:15 am

That’s awful. My heart goes out to her family.

Thank you for the news, Megan.

• 13 Lady S // Dec 17, 2006 at 4:15 pm

I am saddened by the news of Leslie’s death. I, too, liked her calendars. I noticed on Dec 1 she had a link to Wikipedia (she wishes she could despense candy). At the end of the article her death is mentioned.

Having read the Wikipedia article, I would like to point out to Renee that Advent calendars have historically begun on December first, not the 1 Sunday of advent.