food stuff

Gingerbread watch ’06 at Pound. I cannot wait to see what she makes this year (see her creation from last year).

Pensive Frog calls the no-knead bread a disappointing PITA, but then kindly points us to this recipe for chewy Italian bread.

Crunchy sugar almonds at Sugar Savvy.

Recipe for Buckeyes at The Kitchen.

And Christine of Really Bad Cleveland Accent sent me to this recipe for Goetta, something I had never heard of before. I think it looks delicious, but I might just be too lazy to make it myself. Have you eaten this? How is it?

· comments [14] · 12-7-2006 · categories:food · recipes ·

• 1 rachel // Dec 7, 2006 at 10:21 am

Mmm, sugar almonds. I really want to make some flavored nuts this year!

• 2 Amy Lu // Dec 7, 2006 at 11:57 am

My aunt’s Buck-eye recipe calls for Rice Crispies to be mixed into the peanut butter. We love the addition! Also, we mix half milk chocolate chips with half semi-sweet, melted down, to dip the balls into, and skip the wax. We eat them fast enough that melting never seems to be a problem….

• 3 lena // Dec 7, 2006 at 1:12 pm

please make the goetta. it sounds henious but i bet it is good once you get past the pork shoulder cooked for an incredibly long time that then keeps for several weeks…

• 4 margie // Dec 7, 2006 at 3:12 pm

I had never heard of goetta either until I was living in Cincinnati. It’s actually quite tasty, in that “I know this is bad for me and I probably shouldn’t think about what’s in it” kind of way.

• 5 jessica // Dec 7, 2006 at 4:28 pm

goetta is amazing. one of my very favorite things to eat. i don’t know about making it at home though. if you are super curious you can order it online at glier’s website (goettadotcom). it is best fried in half inch slices and eaten all by itself, but i like to eat it on a GLT sometimes (goetta instead of bacon). yum.

• 6 amy // Dec 7, 2006 at 5:37 pm

gotta have goetta! i’m with margie. it’s awesome for breakfast, better after the bars close with cincy “chili.” you can taste it in every form at cincy’s annual goettafest on the river. no kidding.

• 7 christine // Dec 7, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Oddly enough I discovered that I had a picture of goetta I’d made. I put it on my site here.

You can also make a sort of lazy man’s goetta just using ground pork, onions, sausage seasoning, and the steel cut oats. A little easier than bothering with the pork shoulder business. Goetta essentially tastes like sausage with steel cut oats in it. It’s so delicious you’ll be outraged that you’ve spent your whole life without it.

There’s also something called “panhaas” or “panhaus”, which is a southern Ohio variant of Scrapple. I’m not so into that. My southern Ohio boyfriend described it as being “like a loaf of bread, only made out of meat!”

As far as buckeyes go, I’ve always hated the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, so I’ve been thinking about trying to make them with chestnut paste instead. It could be a spectacular disaster, or it could be good.

• 8 Katie // Dec 8, 2006 at 7:05 am

Man, I’m from northeastern Ohio but had never heard of goetta. It sounds like a more passable version of haggis or something. But I appreciated seeing the Ohio props today – I usually make buckeyes and either Cincinnati chili or halushki when asked to bring a “typical Ohio thing” to a party.

• 9 christine // Dec 8, 2006 at 7:28 am

It seems like goetta and haggis might be similar, but they’re not really – haggis is much more, umm, moist – more like the consistency of a really moist meatloaf, or the innards of a sloppy joe. (At least the haggis I’ve eaten). Haggis is boiled, whereas goetta is fried, so with haggis you don’t get any nice brown crunchy bits. Goetta is more like the big rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage that you get in the supermarket near the butter and eggs.

• 10 beth // Dec 9, 2006 at 7:13 am

I tried the no-knead bread. I thought it was really good. It had a great chewy texture, a beautiful rounded shape and lots of air holes. I followed the recipe exactly, except the second rise was only about 1.5 hours, but that seemed just fine. I also took it out of the oven early, it was brown enough.

I agree that it was a horrible, horrible sticky mess. If it didn’t taste good, I would never make it again, it is that much of a mess. I think using a ton of flour when the dough is first laid out would help. I learned as I went and added a bunch of flour, which has resulted in my kitchen covered in a fine flour dust.

I will add less water next time to hopefully combat the stickiness. I noticed in the recipe itself it says 1 5/8 cup (which I used) but in the online video 1 1/2 cups water is used.

• 11 boo // Dec 9, 2006 at 11:24 am

No-knead bread: You’ve got to be kidding! I have been making the bread every few days since finding the recipe – it is to die for! Nothing like a pita. That person must not have followed the recipe. I got it down to where I only have to wash 1 dish (mixing bowl) and the texture is amazing. I use 1.5 C water so it’s less messy. Try it!

• 12 Tina // Dec 10, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Beth… if you add less water that will change the bread.

I have a lot of experience with the Sunset recipe with making a biga first. The recipe explains very throughly the reasons why it needs to be so wet.

If you can find the back issue (the article can be found on Sunset Magazines web site) the pictures really help.

• 13 willa // Dec 10, 2006 at 8:21 pm

what is a PITA? the way you guys are using the word it would seem you are not referring to pita bread, i’m in the dark on the lingo.

• 14 megan // Dec 10, 2006 at 8:33 pm

willa – it means Pain In The A$$. It, um, took me a few years to learn about that one.