Scott had the misfortune to sit on some gum at a concert recently – luckily it was stuck to his jeans behind one knee instead of, um, someplace more embarrassing. So I took up the task of finding out how to get it off. My research turned up these methods:
- harden with an ice cube then chip off (traditional), or use lava hand soap
- brush with egg white, then launder
- rubbing alcohol
- put a brown paper bag over it and iron it, the gum will stick to the bag
- the Martha Stewart stain treatment chart – freeze and crack off, then rub area with mineral spirits
- press down tape over the spot, pull up, repeat
Being lazy and impatient (there was no ice in the freezer) I used the tape method, and it worked nicely. I used a clear packing tape and a plastic tool. I think I’ll rub the area lightly with mineral oil before I throw it in the washer.
Next up, wax on a jacket left under the candles onstage at the O Lounge.